Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nauticus Smart Tabs

Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10201

Got home to find this package waiting for me, mounted them in maybe 45 minutes, and that included drilling holes and trimming things for the drain plugs. Starboard plug was a bit lower, and required a bit more work, but all in all, came out good. Got a meeting tomorrow night, so hopefully get her out Wednesday night see how she goes.

www.nauticusinc.com/

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10202

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Are the prop rods spring loaded? I assume they come up as your speed increases? I see the adjustment holes in the lower prop rod mounts, cool. Can't wait to hear how they work out for you F!

Mark

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10205

Takes a bit of pressure to get 'em up, but there are 5 adjustments and they are easy to adjust, long as you don't lose the plastic bolt and nut in the water when you're trying to change position! We'll see what happens. If they don't work, it would be easy to remove them, fill the 3 holes and move on, but boy, seems everybody that tries these babies likes 'em. I can't wait to check 'em out!

Frank

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10206

I need to get something like these for my Challenger...it would HIGHLY benefit from some stern lift!

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10209

Easy to do Jerrfy, like maybe 120 bucks delivered to your door (depending on what size you get - I got mine for 14-16' boat w/80 hp motor), and real easy to put on.

Frank

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10210

Im curious to see what effect is has on WOT runs...especially with them being "self adjusting".

These could be more cost effective than buying a prop dedicated to lifting the stern i would imagine...?

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10211

Okay. My interest is sufficiently piqued. Where does one find such a contraption? For the best price of course ...

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10212

I wonder if they would create a lot of drag at low speed when you're trying to pull a skier out of the water ? That's kind of a Catch 22 situation; if you can't build up speed, you can't plane, but the drag from the skier is trying to keep you from planing . Some stern heavy boats like the 13 foot Boston Whalers had problems pulling skiers out of the water, even though once planed they were fast. Speaking of skiers, I was just looking at a photo of a boat pulling 96 skiers at one time. I suspect there were 100 to start with, but 4 had dropped off when the photo was taken. The boat appeared to be a catamaran , about 40 to 50 feet in length. It may have said " Power Cat" on the boat, but I'm not certain. Long outriggers were installed to attach all of the ski lines. Whatever it was, it had plenty of horsepower. I suspect it was one of the recent aluminum high performance ocean going yachts being built. The photo was part of a Power Point presentation, and I don't know how to isolate and copy any one photo to post on the forum.

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10213

West Marine, Overtons, Cabelas...to name a few...

Try here: www.nauticusinc.com/nauticus_featured_retailers.html

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10222

I think mine came from Amazon.

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10359

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Have you tried them yet, Frank? Curiosity is killing me!!!!!!!

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10360

i always heard no news is good news, but in this case..............i hope they worked frank. ron

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10361

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10364

Kerry wrote:

Have you tried them yet, Frank? Curiosity is killing me!!!!!!!

Curiosity is killing me too Kerry!

The Smart Tabs came in the mail Monday, were here when I got home, and I put them on that night, but there wasn't time to take it out and try it. Tuesday night would have been perfect, but I had a meeting. Then it turned cold and windy. Wednesday night we went out to dinner up in Albany to celebrate our 36th anniversary which we'd missed the night before because of that meeting I had. Still cold and windy last night, and I didn't feel real good when I got home. Today is supposed to be mid-70's and much less wind, and I get off at noon, so I hope to test it out this afternoon, and will report back. Then we have company all weekend coming in around 3 today, gonna be busy.

After dinner Wednesday night, we drifted into the LL Bean store in Albany and picked up a couple light weight spinning outfits (4-8# test), gonna take up fishing again I guess.

Over the weekend I want to cut a 3 3/8 hole in my dash for the new outboard tach I got coming, sand the interior where we glassed the shoe box seam, and give the interior another coat of paint, maybe two. Still need to build the back seat. Got a classic boat show to go to in a couple weekends, wanna get everything spiffed up.

Gail is getting into it too, this is a bag she ordered for life preservers. Any guesses as to what we named our little Power Cat? ;)

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10369

excellent name frank. happy anniversary and enjoy the holiday weekend. ron

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10373

Thanks Ron! I hope you and Sue have a great weekend too.

Looks like mid-70's today, very little wind, so we hope to find some fairly flat water on the Hudson right after lunch!

Frank

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10392

Well, no question from both Gail and I, much, much better, but maybe I need the next step up. Hit 37, 38 at about 5500, but trimmed out, much better with waves and wakes. I need to get it to a lake and try it, plus I'm waiting on my new Teleflex outboard tach to verify my rpm readings.

Frank

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10393

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Definitely need to check RPM's. Merc prop chart says 44-51 mph between 5000-5500 RPM with a 21 pitch aluminum 3 blade.

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10394

• MarkS
Made a world of difference, didn't it Frank!? That's great buddy, glad to hear you've made a major step here. Can't wait for your new tach to come in. I agree with the other guys, IMHO no way that thing is turning 5500! (Don't ditch the prop yet, you're gonna get this thing sorted out soon.) ;)

Mark

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10395

Estimated delivery on the tach is July 7 (next Wednesday). Left on a FedEx truck this morning from Orlando, ground shipment. I'll have the hole cut and wires run and ready for it this weekend. Then we'll finally see what's cookin!

Thanks guys!

Frank

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10398

Did you notice much a performance difference with the tabs? Does it come out of the hole faster? What about maneuvering??

Youve really sparked my curiosity now!!

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10401

We got on plane real quick, and heck, I thought we were getting on quick before! So yeah, outta the hole much quicker. Performance seemed about the same, but trying to test performance on a big river with tidal forces as well as current is not easy. Maneuvering is much better too. Good investment for 120 bucks!

Frank

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10405

Hear ya Jerrfy. The suspense is killing me. But I'd like to see some #'s before I commit. I am particularly interested to hear about their effect on top end.

Under certain water conditions and, naturally, ludicrous speed my boat has a tendency to develop chine walk. It can come on quickly & very violently sometimes. Check out uzicanvas @ Youtube.

If Smart Tabs can help without slowin me down I'm all for em!

Safe & happy 4th everybody! Take care.

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10407

Im interested in them for two reasons...

First, holeshot...my Challenger is painfully slow out of the hole for some reason...probably prop related. If these will get me up on plane faster, acceleration should improve a bit i would imagine.

Second, this boat requires ALOT of upward trim to get going fast. I think if i can get the stern up out of the water at speed, i can use less trim and potentially get going faster.

For 120 bucks, i dont think i could go wrong...they seem to get rave reviews from everyone whos used them...

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10408

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Jer- when you hit it, what RPM does the motor rev to initially before the boat planes out?

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10409

I think they are a great value basically, even if I step up to the 60 series. for 120 bucks, you can't beat 'em, and they WILL get you up on plane a lot quicker.

Once I get this new tach, I want a prop for hole shot, and one for top end. I don't feel comfortable buying props just yet, but I'm getting there.

Frank

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10411

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Prop for top end, vent for holeshot.

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10416

Vent? I don't get it Kerry.

Frank

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10417

Kerry wrote:

Jer- when you hit it, what RPM does the motor rev to initially before the boat planes out?

You know...i honestly havent paid much attention. The prop doesnt slip at all when taking off hard unless i have it trimmed up fairly high. 2500-3000ish if i had to make a guess...ill be sure to take note next time out.

Top end RPM is about 5200 RPM at right about 51-52 MPH. From about 20+ MPH, its a rocketship when you romp on it...anything slower though and it takes a bit of time to get up and going. Ultimately, i need a cleaver prop to give the boat some more stern lift which it desperately needs...but if these tabs will help, for 120 bucks, im game for at least giving them a shot.

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10418

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Think of the large pitch bass boat props (26" plus) that use vent holes behind the blades to vent a little exhaust to the prop to let it "slip" a little at takeoff, then when on plane, water flows across the holes, they have no effect at speed. Works like a stall converter on an automatic trans- higher stall, better holeshot. Did this for a few buddies, all happy with the results. Might help Jer get a better holeshot with his Challenger, too.

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10420

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Jer, if you need trim to "fly" the boat, you need bow lift to keep trim minimal- Bow should run slightly up with motor's gearcase running level for highest speed. Excessive trim puts the gearcase at an angle to the water causing drag. What prop are you running?

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10422

Just a standard Merc 21P, bronze through hub...slight cup.

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10423

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Two blade?

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10424

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Sorry,Frank. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10429

Hey one of the mods...could you put mine and Kerrys last few prop related posts in the Merc forum for me so we can continue?? ;)

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10430

Yes! A ventilated prop is very much like a stall converter. Feels like it at least. I always equated it to a powerglide transmision.

I have a ventilated 13 1/2 x 22 Lightspeed that's a very good prop. Recommend one to anyone. For some real fun getcha an overhub like the SRX?

The twins:
Attachments:

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10435

Kerry wrote:

Sorry,Frank. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I don't consider this hijacking Kerry. This all relates to set up and rigging, and I appreciate the info you guys are providing here. I'm still trying to get a handle on how a prop is vented. Are there holes in it somewhere?

Frank

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10437

71 V153 wrote:

Yes! A ventilated prop is very much like a stall converter. Feels like it at least. I always equated it to a powerglide transmision.

I have a ventilated 13 1/2 x 22 Lightspeed that's a very good prop. Recommend one to anyone. For some real fun getcha an overhub like the SRX?

Man o man, fer the cost of them babies, I sure better know what I need before I go and buy! Whew!

Frank

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10438

• MarkS
In your most recent video, are you running the 21P Solas Amita 3 prop F?

Mark

Re:Nauticus Smart Tabs 13 years 9 months ago #10439

Yes Mark, the two blades don't work well. Gonna cut a hole in the dash today for my new tach. Unfortunately it's almost gonna have to be in the center of the dash because of the Ride Guide steering mechanism.

What the heck you doin up so early? :P

Frank

Time to create page: 0.316 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'