• Page:

TOPIC: Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio

Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 10 months ago #10182

• DelRio62
  • DelRio62's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Now that the snow has left Toronto (and the G20...) I've had a little time to spend on the del Rio restoration. Warning, for those of you who are purists, I have taken some liberty in paint colour, however I have also retained all the original color chips and materials in the event I decide to "purify" the restoration. The goal at this point is to get the boat sound, safe and clean.

The following photographs show the boat as purchased ($400) and progress over the last few months. Interior has yet to be re-installed, however the original seats, tables and other original parts are all in almost new condition, so they will remain untouched.

The Evinrude Starfire 100-S had missing carb’s when I got her and with the help of BillR, I sourced all the required bits and pieces and last week, she sprang, albeit roughly, back into life. Next step, fine tuning.

The floors where fairly sound with the exception of a location where someone before me took a circular saw and chopped an area to see what was under the largely intact floor. Cleaned, re-foamed, glassed and sealed.

Interior glass surfaces had been weathered, but were sound. Exterior Hull was also in great shape. Top decks were very sun faded, brittle and cracked. Filled, glassed (patch – not complete) primer, tons of sanding and two coats of 2 part polyurethane. Elected to go Alpine white. Side graphic on boat was a sun faded beige brown and did not suit the original interior – elected gloss black highlights.

All hardware removed, cleaned, polished. Windshield, in good shape was buffed and now is clear, clean and intact.

New canvas is being done next week but I’m struggling with colour choice – original was a light brown natural canvas – any suggestions? I’ll likely want to heighten the canvas as the original was very low indeed – and I’m 6’6” – my two young kids however would fit just fine…

Floors were originally covered in marine ply (in good shape) and faux wood vinyl coverings. Left the coverings on as they were in good shape, but given the slip factor with young kids elected grey marine grade carpet.

It’s been a lot of fun, a great learning experience (first time doing this) and has introduced me to most of the people in my neighbourhood as they stop to chat and watch the progress over the months – very rewarding on many levels I would not have thought as I towed it from the yard when I first got it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the photo’s – once the interior is back in I’ll post the final look and will certainly let you know how her first run goes mid July – all things being equal ;-)

Again, I wish to thank all the terrific people on this site who have supported me in confidence and knowledge, as I would not have considered doing this unless it had been for you,

Best,

Matthew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12259

I like what I'm seeing. I have what seems to be the same boat. Looks good.

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12263

Very, very nice!! Give me motivation to keep on sanding!! Great work. Beautiful boat. Mike in Oregon.

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12274

Very Nice....Gives me the needed inspiration as I move along on my Wellcraft.

I look forward to the finished product.

Good Luck.

Wellcrafted1

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12280

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Terrific job so far Matthew, you should be very proud. Really looking forward to the finished interior pics, I know you are too!

Mark

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12292

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
That boat is looking sweet, nice job and post. Thats great you actually got carbs for the motor. TC, Mike

ps, So matt and Matthew have the same boat :)

Update - 62 Crestliner Del Rio - Launched ! 13 years 9 months ago #12446

• DelRio62
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Dear All who have followed the various posts I have made on the restoration of my 1962 Crestliner Del Rio Imperial...

Thanks to all of you who kindly contributed to the work - last week I finally had her together enough to consider bringing her (now christened "Lucy") to the family cottage (log cabin on an island) which my grandfather built in the 1950's in the province of Quebec.

While I will update some of the performance questions and some video in another post, I thought you might all enjoy seeing her hit the water for the first time in likely 40 years…

With the exception of some low speed roughness the Starflite performed flawlessly – no stranding, no stalling, just wide open yeeha :-)

The hull was amazing in some rough water, but as you will see from the photo’s, we had some spectacular weather and on the last day – a sheet of smooth untouched lake awaited me.

Bottom line, she was amazing – took my son fishing for the first time, and, my daughter got to laugh with the wind in her hair as we skimmed across the lake at dusk – which I suppose is what all of this is really about.

More to do, but “Lucy” has certainly given me all the right reasons to spend some more time in fixing and tuning the remaining issues – a beautiful boat, and, a thrilling experience,

Cheers to all,

Best,

Matthew

Hope you don't mind how many photo's I have submitted...

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12453

matthew,you did a great job,very nice work,its a boat to be proud of,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12457

• MarkS
Thanks for sharing the "on the water" shots with us Matthew, the Del Rio is finally back where she belongs. Good job buddy, glad to hear it went well.

Mark

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12458

Good Lord man!! That's a stunning restoration. Where in the world did you get those lovely rope bumpers. They are astounding. Set the boat off perfectly. And the sunset shot of the boat, the boat shadow, and the cabin are now on my opening screen!! Wonderful job, wonderful boat. And I can see the smiles on your families faces now. congrats, Mike in Oregon.

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12464

• DelRio62
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Mike, the spectacular rope bumpers were thankfully found in the bottom of the boat when I got her! Wish I knew where they could be found in newer condition - the ones I have are a little weathered after 48 years :-)

Thank you all for the positive comments - some video should be up soon,

Matthew

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12481

If you Google rope fenders, I believe you'll find they are available a few places. Doug

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12482

Your "62" Crestliner is in my top 10 of "my" favorite boats. I love the Sleek lines of the 60's era boats..Probably doesn't hurt that I was born in "62"...lol.....My 1963 "Winner" that Doug is currently restoring has that same look. I enjoyed the pictures too, A few look like they came right off of a calender...Thanks for sharing...

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12501

• DelRio62
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Doug!

Spot on with the Google "Rope Fenders" found a place 1 hour from where I live - for those of you looking for the "look" check out:

www.classicropefenders.com/category/photos/

Some spectacular fenders can be seen there.

tyeechaser, 1963winner, Mark and John - thanks for the great comments - the one photo that seems to be catching attention was actually taken at night, in the dark, with the camera resting on the dock across from the boat - that's why the lights in the cabin look like they are on :-) The other people at the camp thought I was crazy - out there lying on the dock, in the dark, looking at my boat.

Cheers,

Matthew

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12502

• MarkS
Matthew wrote:

The other people at the camp thought I was crazy - out there lying on the dock, in the dark, looking at my boat.

Around here (FG) you're normal, it's the rest of the world that's crazy! ANOTHER reason I love this place. ;)

Mark

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12503

• DelRio62
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
LOL- indeed - I seem to have caught it along with the rest of you,

way too much fun,

Matthew

Re:Progress Update on 62 Crestliner Del Rio 13 years 9 months ago #12531

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
She's home. She looks great.
I like the black and whites.
The hard work has paid off and now the enjoyment begins.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

noimage
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady