Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960's Tilt unit for V4

1960's Tilt unit for V4 12 years 3 weeks ago #60654

I just purchased a motor (1967 80 HP Evinrude) with a power trim unit installed. I decided to take the unit off this motor, replacing the shock. I am deciding whether to keep the unit to use in the future or sell. I understand that these early units were designed to just lift the motor, not as trim while running. The question is what are these worth, complete. What is the general thought about using them, are they worth the effort to install, or just one more thing to break.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1960's Tilt unit for V4 12 years 3 weeks ago #60657

A picture might help. I've been looking for a good used one like this...

Frank
Attachments:

Re:1960's Tilt unit for V4 12 years 3 weeks ago #60669

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Try it with the tilt then take it off,use the motor for a while(especially beaching), then come back on here and tell us if it's worth it keeping. I bought one complete on fleabay for $35 last year,put new o-rings in it and it works like a charm..jim

Re:1960's Tilt unit for V4 12 years 3 weeks ago #60673

Most of the pre 70 units were as you say tilt units. They were not trim units.

You could tilt your motor and even run the motor at a slow speed (around 10 MPH), however they would not hold the motor up in at high speeds, and will drift down.

With out one you have a choice of all the way up, or all the way down...Dragging in the mud, or pumping air.

Before the units came out we would use a 2 X 6 cut to fit, as to beach the boat,...It would be cut as for the prop to just be able to move the boat. One person would raise the motor, and another would put the board in and then the motor would be lowered in place.. NO FUN AT ALL

CAVU

Re:1960's Tilt unit for V4 12 years 3 weeks ago #60678

Sounds like I should keep it. I do not have the switch. The switch in your photo looks like the electric choke switch are they the same? I do have an extra one of those.
Attachments:

Re:1960's Tilt unit for V4 12 years 3 weeks ago #60681

Those babies look like mine, or I bet I could use one. I should check out flea bay more often!

Frank

Re:1960's Tilt unit for V4 12 years 3 weeks ago #60683

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
halcyondays wrote:

Sounds like I should keep it. I do not have the switch. The switch in your photo looks like the electric choke switch are they the same? I do have an extra one of those.

The switches work different. The tilt switch stays centered when not being pushed up or down. There is /was one or two on fleabay not long ago(I love fleabay)lol.

Re:1960's Tilt unit for V4 12 years 3 weeks ago #60685

The switch should be a DPDT momentary on. That is a Double Pole Double Throw switch that is spring loaded to go back to off when you let go. They can be bought in many places and if you buy a toggle, be sure to buy the water proofing boot for it.

www.google.com/search?q=DPDT+monterly+on&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=9nW&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&ei=RdSlT7HOF4eA2QW6y9CmAg&ved=0CCQQvwUoAA&q=DPDT+momentary+on&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=b001bd3a40637c26&biw=1047&bih=489

I think with those older unites, (been a few years that I worked on one) that you used just one side of the switch till it wore out and then plunged into the other side...... and used that side till it stopped working...

CAVU

Re:1960's Tilt unit for V4 12 years 3 weeks ago #60695

I think the company that made them was Cole Hersee.

Here's a link: www.colehersee.com/

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:1960's Tilt unit for V4 12 years 3 weeks ago #60696

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Aquabird steering wheel
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

Aquabird steering wheel
05-28-2024

Aerocraft/Waterwonder 18 imperial runabout 1960