Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Check this puppy out,...........

Check this puppy out,........... 12 years 1 month ago #59530

Finally got my hands on a complete 1956 Lark 30. Very cool looking little engine.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Check this puppy out,........... 12 years 1 month ago #59532

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Good looking little base Bruce. With your touches it will look fantastic.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Check this puppy out,........... 12 years 1 month ago #59536

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Congrats Bruce, nice find! Have you had a chance to check her over (mechanically) yet?

Mark

Re:Check this puppy out,........... 12 years 1 month ago #59544

It was a fresh water engine from NW Oregon - but a family of mice made it into a hotel. Typical rodent damage - but nothing that a bead blaster won't take care of. First - thing, I took it to a car wash and completely washed the inside hood and powerhead. Better to di it that way - as you don't bring the nasty stuff into your own yard.

Once home, I sprayed the entire powerhead with a heavy coat of WD40 to slow down the corrosive process. I removed the spark plugs and did a dry compression test with the pull starter. 105 lbs compression. WOW! Doing the test dry is the only way to really know if the rings are good or not. Adding oil before a test usually gives a false reading, as the oil helps seal bad rings for the test. I then put fogging oil in the cylinders and put a bunch down the carburator throat while pulling it over. This helps to coat the internal parts. After this, I tried the electric starter & it worked like a champ. No spark, but I didn't expect it to have any. For now, this motor will just be put away to preserve it. I'll restore it at some point.

JUST as a FYI - If you find an engine that's been sitting for a long time, don't crank it with the electric starter until the engine internals have been lubricated properly. Spray light oil of some kind into the cylinders and into the carb(S) while pulling the hand starter, or using the electric starter. This will pull the oil mist into the crankcase and lube the internal surfaces with oil.
Attachments:

Re:Check this puppy out,........... 12 years 1 month ago #59575

Sweet, nice find Bruce, congrats!

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)