• Page:

TOPIC: Fat Fifty ignition problem

Fat Fifty ignition problem 12 years 1 month ago #59143

• elgindave
  • elgindave's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Went to fire up the Fat Fifty (59). Only have spark on the starboard side. Points? It has 2 sets in the Magnito (sp) :angry:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Fat Fifty ignition problem 12 years 1 month ago #59149

That would be my guess but I'm no expert. Take a look and see what they look like. Check the gap again to make sure they haven't moved.

Bob

Re:Fat Fifty ignition problem 12 years 1 month ago #59176

Ditto on bob's comment. Remove the 3 screws on the magneto pully & remove the metal cover. Check the points for .020" opening at the peak of the cam. There is a tiny mark in the top edge of the cam - this should be aligned with the rubbing block on the contact set. When sure of adjustment, Rotate the flywheel until the set of points is fully closed. Cut a narrow 3/8" X 3" piece of clean paper. (Business card stock works great) Pry open the contact set with your finger & slip the paper in between the contacts. Let the points close. Pull the paper straight up & out. Flip the paper end for end & clean the contacts again with the other end of paper. Now rotate the flywheel and move on to the other contact set. Paper is the safest way to burnish a contact set. Do not file them. Do not use sandpaper. If they are shot - replace them and the condensers. If the problem continues, check for a shorted condenser, or a cracked magneto cap. If the coil is failing - it will do all sorts of crazy things. It will work sometimes & not others - no rhyme or reason. The coils are available for about 80 bucks new.

Re:Fat Fifty ignition problem 12 years 1 month ago #59193

• elgindave
  • elgindave's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks guys.
I'll do all of the above.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)