• Page:

TOPIC: How are Chrylser's outboards?

How are Chrylser's outboards? 12 years 1 month ago #58229

• La007
  • La007's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The only thing I've owned are old OMC motors, and this is the same for my grandpa. I've been given the opportunity to buy a 70's model 45HP Chrysler to put on a bass boat I have. He says the shift linkage may need to be adjusted because it works fine in forward but has some issue in reverse. Were these motors ever notorious for messing up the foot gears, or any other problems? Never heard much on a Chrysler and would like a second opinion before I bought one...Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How are Chrylser's outboards? 12 years 1 month ago #58291

Since you've posted in a forum for OMC engines, I'd be surprised if you got glowing reviews for a different brand!

There is a Chrysler/Force forum at iBoats: http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

But people there might be biased as well ;-)

Somewhere I saw someone write that they were pretty basic and solid, but I'm sure there were good models and bad models, there always are! And I don't know ANYTHING about finding parts for them!

Re:How are Chrylser's outboards? 12 years 1 month ago #58299

They make great anchors

CAVU

Re:How are Chrylser's outboards? 12 years 1 month ago #58324

There's nothing inherently wrong with Chrysler outboards. Good, basic design. They also tend to be a little lighter in weight than similar hp Johnrude or Merc motors as they don't tend to have the bells and whistles of the others.

Like many things, they are only as good as the care they have received. In my experience, the Chryslers (and their later Force siblings) tended to get purchased by beginning boaters due to price point. As such, they may not have received the care and maintenance that other brands may get by more experienced boaters. A bit of a generalization, but it does seem to hold true in many cases. Doesn't take many people saying, "my Chrysler (that I never changed the waterpump on, never cleaned the carburetor on, never fixed that bent prop on) is junk" before people start hearing "Chryslers are junk."

Re:How are Chrylser's outboards? 12 years 1 month ago #58349

Chrylser bought out West Bend. They were dependable motors.
In there day if properly maintained.
Sears sold under the Elgin name before they went to Scott McCulloch This is my 54 16hp Elgin
Attachments:

Re:How are Chrylser's outboards? 12 years 1 month ago #58382

I love my chryslers.. Lightweight, simple design, most maintenance parts can be bought at NAPA.
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:How are Chrylser's outboards? 12 years 1 month ago #58383

You meant Evinrudes????
Attachments:

Re:How are Chrylser's outboards? 12 years 1 month ago #58385

Eeekkkk!!!

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:How are Chrylser's outboards? 12 years 1 month ago #58398

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
classicfins wrote:

Eeekkkk!!!

You need SpellChecker- its spelled E-TEC. :lol:

Re:How are Chrylser's outboards? 12 years 1 month ago #58433

Ditto on what Doug & Scott said.

If the engine needs more than an impeller, head gasket, carb kit, coils or points, be prepared to dig around for sources. Ebay is one of the best. The 45 & the 55 Chryslers were one of the worst I've ever seen for vibration. Not sure if others feel the same way. If you replace the condensors DO NOT use the thin steel clamps provided by after market suppliers. They will actually break off under the flywheel from engine vibration! I had this happen twice! Use the stock clamps, or make your own condenser clamps out of heaver gauge steel. Propeller selection is also pretty limited. But they make a lot of bang for the buck.. Replace the thermostat.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)