• Page:

TOPIC: first time start-up on stored motor... ?'s

first time start-up on stored motor... ?'s 12 years 1 month ago #57962

• riceman
  • riceman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Got the 1965 60HP evinrude powerhead mounted to the 1958 50HP Johnson and decided to give it a whirl and see if it would run. it fired off of the first key turn, no problem. the powerhead had supposedly been gone through by a mechanic real recently. seems there may be some truth to the story. anywho, i haven't opened up the bottom half yet to take a look around and see how things are down there. i wanted to make sure i had something to work with first. i only ran it for two intervals of less than 2 minutes, and put it in gear long enough to verify the prop turned in both the forward and reverse directions.

here's the questions:

i am not sure of the condition of the waterpump. based on my readings on here, it should be akin to changing the oil on a car you just bought... just do it. so that's in the works. however, i'm trying to figure out what this "tell-tale" stream is that i'm supposed to be looking for. i've never ran an outboard motor ever in my life, so i am completely clueless as to where i'm supposed to see water, where i'm not, and how much there's supposed to be. i've included pics of the motor and arrows showing where water was coming out. there's also an arrow where oil started running out after i shut it down and turned the water off. not sure what that's indicative of, if anything.

there was a very slight amount of water coming out here and it was more like it was being splashed out of the hole. no stream.

the outlet under the cavitation plate (?) had a pretty steady stream coming out of it when the motor was off but after the motor fired up that stream reduced to a strong trickle. if the motor came up off of idle, that reduced further. i supposed that this had something to do with the increase rpms of the water pump drawing in more water. also, the larger sized hole on the side had a pretty healthy stream coming out.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:first time start-up on stored motor... ?'s 12 years 1 month ago #57974

Well all of that is normal. The hole in your first pic is the exhaust and you will get some water spitting out of it when running, not to mention oil/gas mix that didn't get burned p in the cylinders. Would have been much more with the old '58 Fat Fifty power head. Believe me I can vouch. ;) The upper hole on the extension section is the telltale hole and it should have a healthy stream of water coming out of it when the engine is running. The lower triangle/wedge looking scoop under the cavitation plate is actually the water intake. The plate with a screen just below where you saw oil coming out, is actually the water intake for when the motor/boat is in reverse. Not really sure what that hole is above the reverse intake screen is. Someone else can jump in here, not sure that should be there. Don't have it on my motors.

How did you get water into the motor when you fired it up. With those motors you really need to have it in a barrel or container that will have water well above the lower unit and up to the extender mid section. I think someone on here made a solid plate with a water hose nipple attached to it that replaces the reverse intake plate when running it , without having to use a barrel or take it to the lake

Bob

Re:first time start-up on stored motor... ?'s 12 years 1 month ago #57976

• riceman
  • riceman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
i have a clamshell rubber thingy that the hose attaches to. i clamped it over the intake screen on the side.

glad to hear all of this is normal. perhaps the water pump is okay then. i'll pull it apart and look anyway. i've also got a barrel i can run it in if needed. this was just a short preliminary test, so i grabbed the clamshell. hopefully that's sufficient and i didn't hurt anything!

the oil leaking is normal too, or is there a seal blown somewhere?

Re:first time start-up on stored motor... ?'s 12 years 1 month ago #57981

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The oil leaking is normal. As Bob said, a barrel is much better, just watch the water level, must be above the extension as the pump needs water covering it to work, it is not self-priming. In fact, I believe the hole above the pump housing is to allow air to escape as the pump fills with water as its being submerged, spits water after the motor starts. DO replace the impeller. Rubber doesn't like sitting idle for long before it takes a set, then begins to get brittle. It may work fine for a bit, but believe me, its not fun to dig pieces of broken impeller out of the cooling system, even worse if a piece clogs a passage and overheats the motor. Consider it a few bucks spent on lots of peace of mind.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)