Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mega sleeper

Mega sleeper 12 years 2 months ago #57090

Looks pretty don't it? I never liked the gray paint on the lower part of the fat fifty. I used GM "fleet white" from Dupont's Nasson line. Tucked neatly under the hood is a 1967 Starflite 100. 14 pitch bronze michigan prop, the motor loafs along at 3,000 rpm at 30 mph.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Mega sleeper 12 years 2 months ago #57096

Sweet Bruce!!!!!!!!!!! So that's the '67 100 powerheqd on the Fat Fifty lower? I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm thinking of re-skinning the '67 80 in the '62 housing. The mounting bracket housing on the '67 is very stiff and the '62 housing tilts very easy. Paint it all up in the '62 colors then looks closer to original for the '60 Clipper if I need to put it on, if the Fat Fifty doesn't work out after moding the pistons.

Bob

Re:Mega sleeper 12 years 2 months ago #57455

Bruce,
Looks awesome! I have 2 '67 100 hp OMC's that I am going to transplant to a '58 Fat Fifty and '60 Starflite chasis. I am thinking it would be much simpler to just switch the pans and hoods from the earlier motors to the 100 hp chasis. Is this possible?
Thanks for the inspiration!
Paul

Re:Mega sleeper 12 years 2 months ago #57463

Yes, swapping pans is the best way to accoumplish the "look" you are after. The engine pictured have lower portions are from a 1960 Gale. The Fat 50 had a weak transom mounting and it isn't a good idea to put more power on a 50 lower unit. The hood & bottom pan is all that I ever save from a 50. All the rest gets scrapped. The wiring harness and the linkages to the throttle can present a bit of a trouble spot on a swap over. Also, the clearance to the carburator is very tight. I modified the needle valves on the carburator on this one to clear the hood. When you get ready to do the swap I can give more detail.

Bruce

Re:Mega sleeper 12 years 2 months ago #57497

Bruce,
Thanks for the reply. Forgot to mention I also have a Gale V4 60 hp that will be getting a '66 80 hp powerhead, or a pan/hood exchange. I just love the look of the '58-'60 OMC hoods.

I would appreciate the advice when I get started. I'll also have some questions about the '60s hydraulic tilt feature. I have one but need a new cylinder for it.

Tried to use the "connect" feature on this site, but didn't hear back, so not sure if you got it.

PS: did you have a video of this motor on Youtube under the "Frankenrude" heading? Can't find it now. Would love to see it in action if you have it on video.

Paul

Re:Mega sleeper 12 years 2 months ago #57570

I just happen to have a "HOT" prop for these old motors. a 16p CUP Michigan, needs a very light load
Attachments:

Re:Mega sleeper 12 years 1 month ago #59793

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
What a great project! If you are going to have an ultra gas hog, you might as well get a full 100 Horse power out of it. :laugh: Love it! I especially like the addition of the "100" on the hood.

Re:Mega sleeper 12 years 1 month ago #59805

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Funny thing is, the 4-bbl models (90 & 100 hp) are WAY more economical than the older 2-bbl downdraft design, while making lots more power.

Of course on the 2-bbl models, probably half the fuel is going right out the bottom instead of getting into the engine!!! :P

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Aquabird steering wheel
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

Aquabird steering wheel
05-28-2024

Aerocraft/Waterwonder 18 imperial runabout 1960
( / Boats)