Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1956 Johnson model FD-10S

1956 Johnson model FD-10S 12 years 2 months ago #57005

I have a 1956 15 HP Johnson model FD-10S that has been in the family for years. It has a blown piston that I would like to try to replace. According to one chart I looked at the part number for the piston is 277402 and the rings are part number 301787. I have heard that there are new part numbers; the pistons new number is 277413 and the rings for this piston are part number 378416. I have never done this before and do not want to start off getting the wrong parts can anyone help. Also the old piston left a mark of aluminum on the cylinder. I was told I could take muriatic acid on a cloth and wipe that off does that sound right?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1956 Johnson model FD-10S 12 years 2 months ago #57026

Marine Engines com has the part #s listed )page 14 & 15)

www.marineengine.com/parts/vintage-evinrude-johnson/376748/catalog.html?http://www.marineengine.com/parts/vintage-evinrude-johnson/376748/37674800001.htm

Put the part # in the "part # search" hit go and the system will give you the new part # (if there is one)

Many of the mew part #s are the old part # with a 0 added to the front

After you find the part # save yourself some money and do a google search by typing OMC part # (the part #)

CAVU

Re:1956 Johnson model FD-10S 12 years 2 months ago #57027

I have a Gale 15hp, c. early 1960s, that is very similar. It is stuck - might be able to sneak a piston out of it though... I'd let it go for cost of shipping if interested - if I can find it.

Re:1956 Johnson model FD-10S 12 years 2 months ago #57119

Thank you for the replies again and thank you chinewalker for the offer. After much research I have decided to try the newer number piston. There were two available on ebay for $12. ea plus shipping and several people assured me they would work. Wish me luck I will let you know how it turns out. This is the motor circa 1956 on the family Crestliner.
Attachments:

Re:1956 Johnson model FD-10S 12 years 1 month ago #59667

I was able to purchase a second 1956 15 hp. This second one has electric starting. I just have the motor and what looks like a very old household electical plug that is attached to the starter. Everything looks like it was designed for the motor. Does anyone know anything about these early electic start motors? Was electric starting a standard feature on these small motors? Does it need a junction box external to the motor?

Re:1956 Johnson model FD-10S 12 years 1 month ago #59669

If you can find a good contorl box great but getting vary hard to come by and when you do they think it's gold plated. I find a place on the motor to bolt solinoid and run a hot wire and wire back to the start side of the solinoid then to wires for the on and off switch. You should have 2 wires coming from down under the mag for the on and off switch. Now the on and off switch will work opposit on is off and off is on. So much easire the trying to rewire a control box.
Mike aka the pirate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)