Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Convert a twin fuel line over two a single

Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #53364

Hi,

Does any one here know how to convert a 1958 35 seahorse from a twin fuel to a single fuel line? Please if someone knows please give me highly detailed instruction, or send me to a source for it please. I really want my boat to be safe for my family.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #53380

Email this guy and he most likey has digrams he can send you
"Stan Jackson" <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> I will tell him your emailinig him. Also if you need any parts for that motor or any old motor he most likely has it.
Mike aka the pirate

Re:Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #53381

There is nothing " unsafe " about the pressure fuel tanks.If you are worried then have a repair kit installed by a competent shop.
Many single line tanks when not connected with the sun on them also build up quite a bit of pressure.

Re:Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #53397

Ok, then where can I find the twin conectors for my application

Phillip

Re:Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #53402

Changing to a single line on the big twins is one of the easiest motor to do

You will need a # 10 tap and a 1/8 drill bit About 2 feet of fuel line a pump and a new style connector...2 # 10 screws (I use brass)

Pump

connector

Look on the port side of the motor and you will find the cover plates (see photo) pick the one (upper or lower) that will let you mount the pump the easiest

Drill the (A) hole all the way through. Then tap the (B) Holes for a #10 screw (they are pre drilled

Remove the line off the twin connector for fuel and put on the pump out side

Then tale the hose that you bought and go from the inlet side of the pump to the new connector

The air line going to the old connector needs to be plugged (motor side)...I use brass bolt here however you may want to do it another way just as long as it is stopped up...I cut the line short and clamp the bolt into the line

CAVU

Re:Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #53403

And another way is ..Drill and tap (A) to take a nipple and install a line from it to this Honda pump(Part # 16700-Z0J-003)

Mount the pump wherever you can and run the other lines as you did with the OMC pump

CAVU

Re:Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #53431

The fuel connectors are not uncommon. Place an ad on the AOMCI.org site's webvertiser section. As Professor noted, there is absolutely nothing inherently unsafe with the pressure tank systems. No more or less safe than a fuel pump system...

Re:Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #53442

The only problem with the pressure tanks; is the cost. A working tank in good fair shape starts at $80 (and well worth it) and can go up to $120 (And more)

A fuel connector start at around $35. Every now and again you will find one on the bay for lass however it will most likely need the O rings replaced.

I just bought a motor (1957 Johnson 18hp) for $100. Motor in bad shape, however it came with 2 tanks; so I got my money worth if I have to take the motor and part it out

The other problem with the pressure tanks is that you must have a hoses and fuel connectors for each tank. So if you want to have a spare tank on the boat you must have the whole rig.

In 1956 Evinrude and Johnson started offering the pump as an upgrade when buying a new motor. Gale was putting pumps on their motor as standard equipment by then. I have a 1957 Bigtwin with the factory upgrade. (came with a Gale tanks)

I also have about 12 motors still using the pressure tanks and always have my eye out for more tanks If I see connectors or tanks priced right I am on it like a Duck on a June bug

CAVU

Re:Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #53454

T.T. Nice write up job. I will add that some of the early engines need a transfer port cover from a later engine. These port covers are just about everywhere for cheap. The best reason for converting: parts are easy to obtain. You can get a replacement fuel line at most sporting goods stores. Parts are less expensive. You can use a modern plastic tank that won't clank around in your boat. If you are going to use the boat a lot - I encourage you to convert it. If you are making a perfect restoration trailer queen - go original.

Re:Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #53697

My friend I told you to email above has a conedtor for your 2 hose tank and motor for $65 and inclucd shiping. So if you want it email him
Mike aka the pirate

Re:Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #53761

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
If anything in these two pictures interests you mail me. The pump I believe came off a Johnson 35, the tank and engine fittings came off a 35 big twin. Here is a link to a conversion to give you some hints. Hope it helps, good luck.
www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Converting_dual_fuel_line.htm
Cal
Attachments:

Re:Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #53933

The kink above is a great link...If you are changing out a smaller motor. It just is not a good link for changing out a bigtwin

CAVU

Re:Convert a twin fuel line over two a single 12 years 4 months ago #54166

• sabot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi my name is SABOT on fiberglassic's
You can get the info from a book called CHEAP OUTBOARDS
by MAX E. WAWRZYNIAK III ISB # 1-891369-62-8 it covers
Most all aspect of evenrude & johnson motors from 3hp to 40 hp
and gives a complete how to go from pressure tank to new style
one hose tank I presonally have 3 evenrude and johnsons
1955 15hp 1957 35 hp and a 1974 9.5 hp
love the old motors no fancy electronics.
Have a good one Wayne Hansen email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hope to hear from you and good luck.
Ps you can check out the book from the libary but I find it invaulable to have. :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)