• Page:

TOPIC: A look to the prolly not so distant future

A look to the prolly not so distant future 12 years 4 months ago #53069

• Jim L
  • Jim L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Guys, I know it's not going to be too long until I have to do something on the 63 model 75hp Johnson on my Aristo. The compression gauge is telling me so. Here's my idea. I originally had intentions of swapping engines with the Crestliner ( identical except it's a 62 model).That was the reason for buying it to begin with. Well, I like the crestliner so much I'm now leaning towards leaving it alone and using a parts engine powerhead for a transplant.The cylinders on the parts motor have some wear, but not real bad IMO. I have some pics of the cylinders with the heads off on a 1965 75 evinrude selectic freshwater engine. I know it's hard or impossible to tell much about the condition,but I'd appreciate your opinions.I feel like it would be better than what I've got.cyl#1 cyl#2 cyl#3 cyl#4 Head got hot reason why.Probably why it got junked.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:A look to the prolly not so distant future 12 years 4 months ago #53074

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I forgot to mention that I tested the compression with a pull rope a while back and they showed 65lb per cyl with the reused old gaskets.

Re:A look to the prolly not so distant future 12 years 4 months ago #53095

JIm,
With new gaskets you might be ok, but the '62 75hp that I have is showing 60 and 50. The cylinders look about the same as yours and I'm not going to pursue going any further with it. The cylinders would need to be honed, new rings etc. Others can jump in here, but there may be mroe work there than you think. IMHO.

Bob

Re:A look to the prolly not so distant future 12 years 4 months ago #53096

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I just read Waterwings' basically same post. Very similar.DUH ;) It was suggested to keep looking for a better used engine,but around here, that's not easy to find. I can count on my fingers the 60s v-4s I've seen in the past 20 years and three of them are mine.

Re:A look to the prolly not so distant future 12 years 4 months ago #53097

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Your probably right,Bob. I'll keep looking for another engine, but the scrap metal guys are cleaning them up quick around here. :angry: Waterwings wrote:

JIm,
With new gaskets you might be ok, but the '62 75hp that I have is showing 60 and 50. The cylinders look about the same as yours and I'm not going to pursue going any further with it. The cylinders would need to be honed, new rings etc. Others can jump in here, but there may be mroe work there than you think. IMHO.

Bob

Re:A look to the prolly not so distant future 12 years 4 months ago #53098

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I was thinking(I know ,it's dangerous)I might put a couple head gaskets on it and then check the compression. If it checked out good then I would have a back up for when the inevitable finally happens. The compresion on the 63 goes from 85# on cyl 2 to 65# on cyl 4. :( It still runs decent, but she don't have the kick the 62 does. And the wost thing is hard starting. Not bad when cold and fires right up when just cut off,but let it set for ten or twenty min, (just long enough for me to get in the drink and cool off)lol and she's the devil to start.

Re:A look to the prolly not so distant future 12 years 4 months ago #53104

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Being a novice at two stokes Jim, I have only questions no answers or advise. I would have thought #1 would be lowest in compression, it appears to have the deepest gouges in the cylinder walls!? And what the heck hit the center/top of #4 piston? Looks fresh, but something seems to have whacked it pretty good.

Mark

Re:A look to the prolly not so distant future 12 years 4 months ago #53105

Jim,

The #1 cylinder wall looks very bad. The scuffing and scores are usually found on the exhaust side of the piston - but your engine appears to have the worst damage on the intake side. Someone may have uses real crappy oil or not enough oil at one point. It also could be a broken reed on that cylinder that got sucked into the cylinder, a cracked piston ring, or someone dropped a small part into the carburator. I found an entire handful of No. 4/40 hex nuts inside a V4 crankcase once. Someone purposely poured these down the carburator throat.

You can try putting a fresh set of gaskets in & see how it goes. Be sure the heads get torqued correctly, and check for a damaged/eroded cylinder jacket or the head surface where the blown gasket was. These engines are so large that uneven compression/ low compression numbers won't keep them from working. The hard starting problem is unlikely related to the compression, but a fuel or ignition issue.

Re:A look to the prolly not so distant future 12 years 4 months ago #53110

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Bruce,I'm glad to hear that it would be something else on the hard starting. I'll check the carb and ignition on the 63 this coming spring.Just for curiosity, I put the heads back on the parts engine just snug with the old head gaskets and did a compression check with a pull rope.65lb across the board. Even #1 cyl had 65lb the first time I pulled until the metal part of the gasket opened up again ,then it went to 50lb. Mark,That's where I took a 20lb hammer and a punch and smacked the crap out of it. just kidding. :lol: I don't know what did that on #4 piston,but my wife says I sleep walk.lol

Re:A look to the prolly not so distant future 12 years 4 months ago #53332

Jim, my guess on the mark on number 4 is the end of your screw in compression gauge. I hesitate to offer an opinion since I am a Merc guy, but I did a rebuild on a starflite 80 hp with similar cyl. If it was mine I would hone the cyl and new rings provided the pistons are not galled on the skirts. That groove on number 1 looks like it ingested something.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

noimage
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)