Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Johnson pull start recoil spring

Johnson pull start recoil spring 12 years 4 months ago #52246

I am replacing the recoil spring on a 1954 7.5 hp Johnson for the son of a friend who is overseas with the military.
It's an old beater that he uses a lot for hunting and fishing and she wanted to get it fixed before he gets back.
I found a broken recoil spring and my friend said she thought that he had fixed it at least once before. It looks like it has been worked on a number of times.
My question is, does anyone have a reccomendation on replacement spring quality, or perhaps something that I should be looking for that caused it to break.
I have seen a number of springs on ebay, and also that Sierra sells them. I don't imagine OMC sells an OEM version anymore.
I'm worried that some of the cheaper offshore parts will break again with little use.
I am leaning towards Sierra as I have used their parts on my Mercurys, and they seemed to fit and last OK.
Seeing that this is something the owner has had trouble with before I would like to put the best quality spring back in that is avaiable.
Thanks for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Johnson pull start recoil spring 12 years 4 months ago #52258

Johnson used basically the same spring on all models with the top mounted recoil from a 3 HP to a 75 HP.
Don't be surprised if your local " real repair shop " has one in stock.
What is the model # of the 54 -7.5 as it was not produced till 1956.

Re: Johnson pull start recoil spring 12 years 4 months ago #52324

It appears I may have led you a little astray on this Professor. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but this motor turned out to be an Evinrude, not a Johnson. It had received a thick coat of brown camouflage paint at some point so the serial plate was unreadable. Someone had written "7.5 1954" in red grease pencil on the inside of the clamshell and that is what I assumed the motor was.
After removing the paint, the tag read 7516 21520, and that it was an Evinrude. Did OMC label the serial plates a Johnson or Evinrude or were they all serialed as Evinrudes?
From the info I found on a website, the first four digits indicate that it is a 1954 7.5 hp.
Could it be that the 7.5 was not introduced by Johnson until later?
Your reply indicates that now that I have a solid ID with a model number I might be able to find an OEM spring.
I going to give that a try.
Thanks for the help and ifo.

Re: Johnson pull start recoil spring 12 years 4 months ago #52337

In the early 50's there was a diffference between Johnson and Evinrude.
Johnson started marketing a 7.5 in 56.
Take the spring to a dealer and say that you " need one like this "
don't tell a young feller that you need parts for a 1954 model !!!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)