• Page:

TOPIC: Fuel Pressure Problem

Fuel Pressure Problem 12 years 5 months ago #51134

• La007
  • La007's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a '67 80HP Evinrude outboard, I've finally got most of the problems with the motor itself sorted out and I'm hopefully on the final issue! The motor runs like a top if someone sits and keeps pressure on the fuel bulb every 10-15 seconds, if you don't the motor loses power entirely and dies. It's runs clean out of fuel to the carb. The glass bowl on the fuel pump doesn't look as if it runs out any during this time as I left the hood off and ran it. I've got a brand new attwood 6 gallon tank, with all OMC fittings and brand new fuel line & bulb. Once the bulb is pumped to where it's tight it seems to lose slight pressure slowly. What exactly could be my problem, my line, my tank or my fuel pump, or all three or what combination? Any ways to effectively test? Thanks for all the help to get me this far guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Fuel Pressure Problem 12 years 5 months ago #51136

If the bulb loses pressure it could be a ruptured diaphragm in the pump.
If there is a problem with crankcase compression then the pump will not operate properly.
Primer bulbs do lose pressure when the engine is running and that happens on ALL motors and is normal.

Re: Fuel Pressure Problem 12 years 5 months ago #51155

• La007
  • La007's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Shouldn't it hold pressure if disconnected from both the motor and fuel tank?

Re:Fuel Pressure Problem 12 years 5 months ago #51158

La007 wrote:

I've got a brand new attwood 6 gallon tank, with all OMC fittings and brand new fuel line & bulb.

As much as Attwood made lots of quality hardware & lights in days past, their fuel system components are JUNK!!!!!!!! The fuel line will become as stiff as a fresh wedding pr*ck in no time.

Years back I sold & used lots of Tempo items, but when the owner of Tempo decided to retire & shut the company down, that ended that. Tempo was later bought by Moeller and they marketed two lines; Both are JUNK....

We have been getting 1.5 seasons out of the Moeller primer bulbs before they split. And that is assuming they pump up when new. Their tanks are OK but don't expect the quantity indicator to work worth a damn.

Boaters Stuff isn't any better.

Sierra fuel lines are OK. Their OMC fittings work fine, their old style bayonete Merc fittings are junk; Expect them to just fall apart at the seam.

I am in the process of (by attrition) swapping to all OEM OMC fuel lines & bulbs.

With the EPA getting involved, I truely don't know how these junk items are getting certified. Also, expect price increases on tanks, fuel line assemblies and primer bulbs. Increases of anywhere from 50 to 100%. Mercury Marine has gone CRAZY with prices. Appearantly they didn't squeeze enough out of Fond Du Lac County, the state of WI and the IAM last year.

Re:Fuel Pressure Problem 12 years 5 months ago #51163

If you can squeeze the bulb with it disconnected then there is something wrong !!
Check valves in the bulb maybe.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)