• Page:

TOPIC: Tilt stuck, help please

Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 5 months ago #50559

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Ok, I got the '67 80hp motor on the stand last weekend but it was a pain since it's stuck in the up position. It's on the stand and bolted down, but it will not come down. It won't tilt all the way up either. I've tried putting pressure both ways, up and down and no joy. Slide the dust boots up can't see any visible rust. Tried to turn the caps with the pin wrench I have and can't get them to budge either, right or left. Tried putting a little Marvel Mystery Oil around the shafts to see if maybe it would seep in and free them up but no joy.

Here are a coupld of pics of the cylinders.

Sorry the first one is a little fuzzy.

Any ideas anyone?

Bob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 5 months ago #50565

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Could take a small punch and hammer.Put the punch in one of the four holes. Tap the caps counter clockwise. Bob, did you check the main hinge bolt for rust or too tight? just a thought. jim

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 5 months ago #50571

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Jim,
Thanks, yeah nut isn't too tight and I sprayed WD40 at the pivot points of the hinge bolt. Actually used a small pipe over the end of the pin/spanner wrench for more leverage and it still didn't budge.

Bob

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 5 months ago #50681

That's the first time I've ever seen one stuck. Strange. The shocks are/were filled with oil, seems real unlikely that they are rusted inside - but you never know. My thought is that the tilt bolt is rusted or corroded where it goes through the swivel mount. The bold did not have any provision for lube, it had a couple nylon bushings & that was it. Remove the nut on the tilt bolt, and see if the bolt is stuck. Get a drift punch and ball peen hammer and hit the bolt from the threaded end. Be sure the punch is smaller diameter of the bolt so you don't bugger the bolt up. Just do it enough to see if the carriage head on the other side of the engine starts to move out of the hole. Like maybe 3/8" or so. It should drive out easily. If the shocks are stuck, you'll probably have to cut the struts with a cutoff wheel.

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 5 months ago #50688

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
BOB,: Bummer , I do not have power tilt, BUT when I went to move my 67 OMC 60 hp Estate find. .Had a very hard time raising UP the lower motor.. There are a few hidden levers / brace stops that blend in with the same green color clamps.

1) in front under power head there is a SMALL thin FLIP lever , left
to right that is a Tilt LOCK / flip pos.?? cable.

2) also ther are some flip down TABS tokeep the motor in the UP or towing position by swivel to the top of C-Clamp, for weight .. Sort of like the early Transom Saver idea.

Again take a close look UNDER neath for something else binding, small screw driver , piece of wood , loose BOLt ., etc , etc,

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 5 months ago #50699

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bruce,
Thanks I'll try that. I think maybe that has to be it. It seems weird that the pistons would be stuck since they look god and clean.

SPLIT,
Thanks, I did look all underneath. Saw the lock and pull cable. I was able to look at the 75hp lying on it's side to compare. The darn thing is actually stuck 3/4 of the way up. The flip tabs are actually loose and won't come all the way up since the lower unit isn't completely up for it to rest on it.

Thanks guys, will try that later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Bob

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 5 months ago #50712

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ok, couldn't wait so i went out and tried it. Used my 12oz claw hammer and hardened punch, no movement. Switched to my 3lb hand sledge and it STILL won't budge. I'm thinking I'm going to have to use the propane torch tomorrow with some WD40 shot into the end and see if that will move the bolt out some and see what happens.

Bob

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 5 months ago #50714

Try to find a can of Seafoam or some PB blaster. Those have always worked pretty good for me - much more effective at loosening up stuck parts than the good old WD40. The torch may be the only answer, but remember that there are nylon bushings in the tilt assembly - these will likely melt if you hear the area with a torch. I'd try waiting for the penetrating lube to work. Give it a little shot of lube avery couple days. Sometimes parts will start moving - if you can aford to wait.

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 5 months ago #50716

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
You might see if the local auto parts stores have any PB Blaster, Bob. I believe it works a little better on stubborn rusted parts, but just my opinion. Good luck with it buddy, keep a fire extinguisher handy. :laugh:

BTW, do you still need the -65 Merc manual? I think I may have my 63 Merc1000 sold, and it doesn't go with the deal.

Mark

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 5 months ago #50725

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys, I was considering getting some Seafoam and spraying it into the cylinders anyway so I may as well get it and spray it onto the pivot bolt too! Tried turning her over with the starter after letting some Marvel oil sit in the cylinders. Got 90 on 1,2&3. Got 65 on 4 but it wasn't turning over real well with a fully charged battery so I'm not sure what's going on inside the cylinders.

Mark, the Merc I have is a '61 800FGS, does your manual cover that?

Bob

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 5 months ago #50740

• MarkS
I sent you an email Bob. ;)

Mark

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 5 months ago #51390

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ok, bought PB Blaster AND Sea Foam. Figured I'd use the Sea Foam in the cylinders anyway. Well after soaking anything that looked close to the pivot bolt with both and letting it since I last posted it still didn't work. Unscrewed the nut about halfway, used the hardened steel punch I have and a 3lb hand sledge and smacked the hell out of it and STILL no joy!

Any other ideas before I take the torch to it and heat it up?

Can the nylon washer sill be had if I melt them?

On the good side, it's not froze up and the compression is 90 across the board. I'm sure the rings are probably stuck a little so they should spring loose some. Don't know how long this things been sitting.

Also got the 75hp on the 1/2 ton engine stand I bought for the Century motor. With a little help from the $99.99 1/2 ton cherry picker I picked up from Harbor Freight the same time I got the engine stand. The $99.99 coupon is in most of the car magazines. Couldn't pass it up. ;) Cylinders are soaking now, will see how the compression check comes out in a day or so.
Bob

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 4 months ago #51524

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well good news, gave up on the bolt and just put all my weight against the lower unit and it finally came loose. Tried to move it up and down a little. Got it all the way down and sprayed some more Sea Foam along the bolt and we'll see how well it moves tomorrow.

Now to spray it and the 75hp down with Purple Power and hit them with the power washer before it gets too cold to do anything.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Bob

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 4 months ago #51545

• MarkS
Very glad to hear you finally got that critter down, Bob! Sometimes frustration can be our friend. :laugh:

Mark

Re:Tilt stuck, help please 12 years 4 months ago #51584

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Mark. Got both motors washed down and cleaned up today. Tried to take the exhaust housing off and proceeded to break most of the bolts. Completely corroded inside, Smacked them with a hammer and hit them with PB Blaster first but no joy, even tired a little heat then PB Blaster but to no avail. Housing is stuck, once I get it off tomorrow I should be able to back the screws out, I'll get new ones, no biggie. Going to try and get a compression check on the 75hp tomorrow also and see what U=I have to work with.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)