Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C

1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 6 months ago #50273

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Might as well get this thread started, so here we go;

The wiring harness is disconnected, and from the looks of the relay box for the PT&T, at very least a good clean up of all the connections is in order. The T&T switch in the control handle appears to have seen it's better days as well. I need to lower the tilt and trim to full down to drain the gearcase. The manual (Clymer) I have indicates the release screw is on the Starboard side mounting bracket. When I open this screw, the motor tilts down to rest on the trim rams, but will not come the rest of the way down. Is there another release screw somewhere the manual forgot to mention for the trim rams?

I briefly jumped the green (+) and black (-) wires from the trim pump to the battery, the trim motor kicks on but nothing moves. It's the internal, three wire system, I believe the blue would be up and the green down, correct? I don't want to burn up the motor or the pump before checking everything out carefully. Guess I'd better study up some more before proceeding, just excited to get the ball rolling on this one.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 6 months ago #50280

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Here's how I remember:

Blue = to the Sky = Up

Green = to the grass/ground = down

Be sure the release screw is turned in when you're running the pump or the it'll just run on bypass and not develop any pressure.

Try tilting the motor Up with the PT&T and see if the motor sounds like it's working hard to pump oil. It might be low on oil, or have blown seals.

HTH.........ed

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 6 months ago #50305

• MarkS
Thanks Ed, appreciate the tip on remembering the wire colors. I'll have to get some Tilt & Trim oil, I have a hunch she may be low. We'll check everything out better this weekend, it's hard to get anything done during the week after work.

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 6 months ago #50518

• MarkS
Went out last night to finish removing the "whale tail", one of the bolts thru the AV plate was being stubborn. Whala, she was in the full down position! (Must have left the manual release screw open.)

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #51182

• MarkS
Well, I was dying to hear it run, so here goes.......

Wouldn't idle without choking, so carbs, fuel pump, fuel lines, etc. are first on the list. Going to go over and through it over it the winter, but at least I know I've got a runner! :P

Notice a little lube has been leaking from the propshaft seal, guess I'll read up on putting a seal kit in the lower unit while I'm at it. Gonna need some help with that one gang......

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #51189

Those motors had a history of breaking the " pressure back " piston rings.
I would do a compression test and pull the bypass covers before spending a penny on it !

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #51201

• MarkS
Will do Professor, thanks for the heads-up! Pulling the bypass covers to check the condition of the ring lands, piston skirts, rings, etc. visually? Sorry for my lack of knowledge here, but eager to learn all I can - I love these V4 motors. ;)

Noticed the wiring and relay box for the PT&T probably weighs 20 lbs, not counting the extra weight the unit on the motor. Thinking now I may pull the Johnson 115 (w/o PT&T) from the Starflite for the GT-150, put this one on the Starflite or the CVX-16 Deluxe, if I end up renovating it......?

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #51256

MarkS wrote:

- I love these V4 motors. ;)

Me too, Mark!!! ;) They sound so KNARLY compared to a rattlebox Merc!! :S HA! I will be following your progress and look forward to the maiden test run!
GO TEAM OMC!!!! :woohoo:
NUT

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #51278

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Mark,

I have the same motor I got given to me on a Bass boat this summer, It had a complete rebuild then sat for the last 6 years every fuel line on it was shot and all of the clamp ties were broken, So I would replace all of them.. Havent tried it on the water but seems to be a nice running engine. It does sound Narly. :-) , But I like my Mercs better.
Good luck with yours.

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #51285

• MarkS
Thanks Jesse, I'll get her straightened out over the winter. Nothin' wrong with the Mercs, but I'll stick with my JohnnyRudes, thanks. :kiss:

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #51989

• MarkS
A couple questions for the experts;

Lower unit seals - I can see where gear lube has been dripping down the aft part of the skeg, probably needs a propshaft seal (believe there's actually two on there?). I'm thinking this would be a good time to replace all the seals, orings, etc. while also refreshing the water pump impeller. Looking at the illustrated parts list, those two seals,a large oring just forward of there, the (under the water pump plate) driveshaft seals, and shift rod seal (oring) should do it, right? Is this something I can tackle, I've no experience past water pump replacement. It doesn't appear that any gear dis assembly would be required? When I'm done, I'll have it pressure tested to make sure everything is correct.

Parts - I prefer to use O.E. (OMC BRP )parts when I can, prices are close to aftermarket and the quality can't be beat, IMHO. The www.boats.net site appears to have the same parts breakdown, and offer the O.E. parts at a discounted price. Since I have no OMC (BRP) dealers near me, is this a viable option? I've used the factory online parts service before, but am not opposed to saving money on the O.E. parts if that is the case! Just thought I'd throw the question out there to see if anybody had used them before.

Any help the real mechanics could give would be greatly appreciated. Not many "Team OMC" guys left, we gotta stick together, right?!? :P

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #51992

Compression and piston rings OK ???
You will need the 4 wee O-rings for the screws as well.
What does a pressure test show now ???

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #51993

• MarkS
Haven't done either one yet Professor, am I getting the cart before the horse???

Edit: After thinking about it, that's a "dumb question", sorry. Will do.

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #52027

MArk,
No expert obviously but I have seen that marineengine.com has same or better prices than boats.net. The best prices so far have been off of E-bay OEM left overs believe it or not. Well some anyway, depends on the seller and part but I haven't had any problems with marineengine so far. Got all the fat fifty gaskets I needed from them. You can get OEM or Sierra on a lot of their parts.

Bob

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #52054

• MarkS
Thanks Bob, I'll check them out when I get my testing and inspections done. ;)

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #52204

• MarkS
Not really happy with the compression test results, (right around 100 psi on all four), (keeping in mind I have a cheap compression tester). At least they're all even, but it's starting to look like a teardown in the future here. Bypass covers coming off next weekend, stay tuned........I'll try to get some decent pics. :unsure:

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #52690

• MarkS
Got a chance this afternoon to re-run the compression test, this time using the factory battery cables instead of cheap jumper cables. Boy, do i feel better! All cylinders within 10%. Guess I should still pull the covers to inspect rings, pistons, etc.? Definitely want this to be a long time runner, so I think I know the answer already.......
Attachments:

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #52710

That's good news Mark. Yeah I'm sure Professor will say yes for sure. ;) I've got 95 on a four for the 80hp and I'm probably going to pull mine to make sure it's good. The 75hp was too rough so I have parts now :) That 115 is very clean and should last you a while provided she isn't scored up.

Bob

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #52728

Just looked at your vidio and didn't see any water running to the motor. now if you started it dry the impeller in the water pump is shot. They have to have water for lub to keep from burning up the impeller.
Mike aka the pirate

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #52739

• MarkS
I was seriously thinking I'd bought a "basket case" Bob, I'm sooooo glad this issue is resolved! Another case of my haste (in doing the first test) bites be in the ......you know. :blush:

I did have the muffs hooked up Mike, you just can't see it in the video I guess. She wasn't putting out the tell-tale, but a piece of wire dislodged the mud-dobbers nest and all is well. She'll get a fresh impeller at the very least anyway, and new cup (housing) and plate if needed. I have to pull the lower to inspect, pressure test, etc. soon. Didn't want to waste the time and money if the powerhead was shot.

Note on parts:
After conferring with Joe Poole (who I trust implicitly!) at Ferguson-Poole Marine on service and replacement parts, I'll be sourcing my needs through his company.

If you don't support the local marine suppliers in your area, you can't complain if there aren't any more around later! Used to be 15 or 20 in the Atlanta area, now you can count them on one hand. Not to mention the years of service and advise his family offers, they've been a tremendous help to me so far with this "addiction".......I mean hobby. :laugh:

Edit: Sorry about the "preaching" gang, I'll get off my soap box now.

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #52748

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
WOW.: CONGRATS,, is that 140 psi we seee on the gauge .??? You must have got good hardware out of Chattanooga, & a good price.!
. Now that you know Joe Poole how about a matching CVX Nostril nose for the wife.? Two would make the 2013 Calendar. chattanooga.craigslist.org/boa/2747406816.html You know how those O.B.O. offers can turn out in the off season.
. Seems I am chasing a 54 orig owner estate pkg this week. It came with OMC.

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 5 months ago #52765

• MarkS
Thanks Larry, but if I bring home another boat I'll be the one with an extra nostril !!! :ohmy: I'm not going to push my luck with my wife, thank you. :laugh:

Good luck on the 54 lummie/OMC?!

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #53155

• MarkS
Okay gang, transfer port cover inspection complete, I think it's time for "the happy dance" in OMCville!?+1,3,2,4 (I think)rings And skirts; Shined a flashlight thru the spark plug holes, saw no scoring whatsover on cyl walls, what do you think?

(Sorry the pics turned out kinda blurry, had trouble getting the camera to focus that close.)

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #53157

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Good for you,Mark! I'm going to keep an eye out for me another good engine. Just hope I can find one close to the shape yours is in. Merry Christmas

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #53163

• MarkS
Thanks Jim, and Merry Christmas to you too! We'll keep our eyes and ears open for another good motor for you, I believe there are still some good ones left out there. I'm thinking this one's got a season or two left in her before some major maintenance is needed, gonna pull the lower off and check things out down there tomorrow or Monday hopefully. It's too cold to roll the hull outside and work on it, so motor stuff is on the "front burner" for a while. ;)

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #53188

• MarkS
Gear lube was clear of any water or metal, but the water pump is appears to have been run dry by one of the previous owners. a good bit of material from the impeller melted into the housing, the liner is worn through in one place, and plate is trashed as well. I'll order the complete water pump kit next week, but am wondering how much tear down is required to make sure there's nothing plugging the passages in the power head. (She was squirting out the tell-tale well, but I don't think I've ever seen one this bad before.)
Attachments:

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #53191

People still run motors dry
Simply because they do not know the damage it does to pumps.

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #53192

• MarkS
You're right Professor, that's the only thing I can think of that would have literally melted the impeller like that. If you click on the pic for a close up, not only did the molten rubber stick to the plate and the cup, it nearly filled the outlet chamber of the housing to the tube almost plugging it off! I don't find any in the tube (pipe) up to or in the linlet on the power head, so I'm hoping it all stayed down in the pump. The blades of the impeller don't appear to have lost any "chunks", so I think she's going to be okay.

I pulled the shift rod plate up for inspection, and found this piece (looks like a spring, with a rod through the middle) just laying in the housing under the cover. I don't see it in the parts breakdown illustration, any ideas? Edit:#5 maybe, "magnet and spring"? I did notice a very small amount of metal shavings on the spring, it appears to be magnetized.
Attachments:

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #53197

Simple , that is a magnetic " filter " you will find that part in the 66 t0 68 100 HP outboards and also the electric shift sterndrives.

Performance enhancement ??? 12 years 4 months ago #53341

• MarkS
I had one more vacation day to take before the end of the year, so I spent several hours today cleaning up E'rude parts, (waiting for replacement parts, gaskets, etc. to come in), straightening up the "parts bins" (shelves) in the garage, etc......

While preparing the transition port covers for reinstall, I thought of something that may (or may not) enhance performance just a tad. Where the "fingers" on the covers direct the fuel/air charge into the cylinders, would it help to "port and polish" that area? (We used to do intakes, headers, and cylinder heads that way on hot rod motors.)
Just wondered if it might help the OMC V4 "breathe" a little better to clean up (smooth casting lines, ridges, etc.) and polish the castings a little in that area? Any thoughts guys and gals ?

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #53345

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Only on the top end, idle may suffer a bit. The "rough" of the castings helps atomize gas at lower RPM's. The turbulence at lower RPM's is good for a family motor, bad for a race motor which rarely "idles".

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #53368

• MarkS
Thanks Kerry, I appreciate the feedback. I heard the little voice in the back of my head saying "leave them alone, the factory knew what they were doing!" I'm more of a cruiser than a racer these days, drive-ability is really more important to me than top speed :P

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #54239

• MarkS
Got a box with all the parts needed (I hope!) in the mail from Joe at Ferguson Poole Marine the other day, looking forward to getting started with re-assembly. Anybody have any suggestions on suitable replacements for OMC gasket sealers etc. referenced in the manual?

Also, anyone happen to know the size and thread pitch on the bolts you would screw into the prop shaft bearing housing to use the puller? None of the bolts I have seem to fit, probably need to use a thread chaser before attempting to do it. With all the gear "dope" laying in the bottom of the housing, I believe it would be prudent to install the seal kit now.

Sorry about all the questions, but it seems foolish to screw something up because I didn't ask a question or two, seriously 'preciate all the help you guys offer!

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #54251

I'm pretty sure those bolts would be 5/16 coarse thread (18 tpi).

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #54257

• MarkS
Thanks Scott, I'll give that a try. (Didn't want to bugger up the threads, or break that housing.)

Update:Right on the money as usual Scott, now I'll have to get some "redi-bolt" or whatever they call it, I don't think the make regular bolts 8" long! :laugh:

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #54437

• MarkS
Okay, got the lower unit apart enough to replace all the seals and o-rings, but have a question. The o-ring in the shifter shaft housing, appears to have a brass piece "peened" in the housing on top. No way to replace it from underneath as shown in the parts breakdown, do you have to remove the brass piece to replace the o-ring? Looks pretty tricky to me, may take it, the prop shaft bearing housing and upper driveshaft bearing housing to work Monday and let the machine shop guys give me a hand with that and replacing the seals......? The rubber deflector seal for the shift shaft (above the housing) came in the water pump kit?
Attachments:

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #54442

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I've never worked on an engine like yours, but I have had that same situation.If you can remove the shifter shaft,can you take a paper clip and remove the old O -ring then work the new ring in place through the hole? jim

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #54445

• MarkS
I hadn't thought of that Jim, I'll give it a try. The guys at work in the shop have a scribe with a hook that may do the trick as well. That o-ring is a real fatty, it's in the first pic laying on the seal kit package. It may be tough stuffing it down the hole, but I'm gonna give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #54692

• MarkS
As it turns out a paper clip wasn't quite "stout" enough, but a piece of wire coat hanger fabricated into a hooking tool was! :P

Got all the new seals in, water pump kit, re-assembled and installed. I straightened the bent skeg almost perfectly, I'm not going to push my luck and go and farther with it. Still have to rebuild the carbs and fuel pumps, and check out the PT&T system, but we're getting there.
Attachments:

Mark

Re:1978 Evinrude 115 V4 Model 1115899C 12 years 4 months ago #54696

She's coming along nicely Mark. She should run great once your done.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)