• Page:

TOPIC: Look what I got for $100

Look what I got for $100 12 years 6 months ago #48602

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Well since hotrodding the Fat Fifty didn't go as I wanted, still haven't gievn up though, I was combing through Craigslist and found these babies.

All that for $100. It's a 1961 75hp and a 1967 80hp. The 75hp was apart becasue he said he had some kind of oil leaking problem in the lower unit. He said the impellor had worn a shallow groove in the stainless steel shaft. That doesn't sound right but I won't know until he finds the saft. He still has to fnd the shaft, pump cover and cover for the mid section. It was sitting on a '64 Owens 15' that had seen much better days. He gave me the new impellor for it, in the box with the lower unit. He's suppose to call me when he finds the stuff, it's buried in his garage or shed somewhere.
The 80hp is intact and came with the control box. They are not froze up and turn over. They are both selectic shift. They'll have to be cleaned up of course but for $100 I figured what the heck.
I'm thinking maybe I should just put one of these on the Clipper in place of the Fat Fifty. I'll keep the Fifty of course, original motor that runs.

Now for a few questions:
1. Are these motors basically the same?
2. Can the power heads be switched between motors?
3. Is there any real difference between the two from outside, other than the engine covers?
4. Can either of these power heads bolt right up to the Fat Fifty?
Now I know the lower unit's on these motors are a lot less drag through the water than the old Fat Fifty but I'm thinking the Fat Fifty unit is more bullet proof than these selectrics.

Thoughts and answers anyone?

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Look what I got for $100 12 years 6 months ago #48611

The 80 HP is an electric shift. Make sure you use the correct lower unit gear lube. It is different than the stuff used on most outboards. It is thinner.

I do not think they had the electric shift in 1961.

Andreas

Re:Look what I got for $100 12 years 6 months ago #48685

If a 66 --100 HP will bolt in to the 50 then of course these two will also
Electric shift first came out in 62.

Re:Look what I got for $100 12 years 6 months ago #48788

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Oh yeah forgot to mention they guy threw this in also.

Andreas, thanks I thought I had heard that before.

Professor, thanks still new to the JohnnyRude outboards. The serial number on the 75hp 1962509361 does cross to a 1961 but it has the selectric lower so I'm assuming someone did a modification at some point then. I don't know these motors that well yet so I don't know what's interchangeable and what's not. Will the power head just bolt right up to the Fat Fifty lower without any modifications? Is there anything different in the drive shafts such as stainless in the later years that would be better, like on the later 60's Mercs compared to the 60 or 61 Mercs?

Bob
Attachments:

Re:Look what I got for $100 12 years 6 months ago #48799

Bob,

The base plate for all of the V4 engines were the same from 1958 through 1968. The 80 HP is a better engineto use if it is in good condition. The connecting rods are far stronger than the twigs that were used in the old '61 75hp. The 80 will have better transfer port covers with better flow ability. The 80 also had slightly larger exhaust ports. Be sure to use the 80hp exhaust tuner (inside the motor leg)if it is shorter than the one on the 75. Carb and reeds same, heads same, crank same. Neither hood you show is a 61, so the 75 may be a '62 or 63. The electric shift is WAY better than the mechanical, BUT you must have an alternator to run it. The battery ignition is actually better than the magneto. The electric lower units require type "C" oil.

Re:Look what I got for $100 12 years 6 months ago #48805

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bruce,
Thanks for the info. I was leaning toward the 75hp since it was closer in year to the boat but if the 80 is far better then I should go that route. Maybe I should just cheat and put the 75 cover on it and make it look like a '62!? :laugh:

Bob

Re:Look what I got for $100 12 years 6 months ago #48885

These newer blocks have more cubes ( 89 compared to 70.7 ) than the 50 HP.
More sealing rings on the crankshaft too.
Better scavenging and thus plenty of power.
Bolt right up.
There has never been a problem with OMC shafts due to the " quality " of the stainless.
Sure beats the Mercury line-up that did not go to stainless until the late 1970's

Re:Look what I got for $100 12 years 6 months ago #48905

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Professor,
Great info thanks. I think I'll check the compression on the 80 and go from there. Going to have to make another engine stand since that '61 Merc is still sitting on the other one.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)