• Page:

TOPIC: 1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak

1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48479

• havock
  • havock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1966 Johnson 40HP Super Sea Horse Electramatic that has an oil leak near the prop housing. I just got this motor from a friend and he does no remember the leak. He gave me the motor so he has no reason to "not remember" the leak.
The oil leaks only when the motor is in the vertical position, when it is tilted up no oil leaks out.
I need to figure out if this leak is because the prop housing (for lack of a better name) is too low on the shaft.
If it is too low on the shaft how did it happen (there is a round hole on the right side of the pics, did that have a screw in it?)

Here are the pics imgur.com/a/or80Q

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48481

90% of the time a visible oil leak is actually unburned fuel/oil mix draining from the exhaust housing, particularly if it is sitting vertically. It is completely normal. If you run the motor and check the oil in the lower unit afterwards, it'll be milky colored if water is getting in. That would not be normal...

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48486

• havock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
chinewalker: Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I'm pretty sure that this is the oil from the lower unit. It's thick like oil, it smells like oil and it does not appear to be an oil gas mix.

The motor hasn't been in the water since a tune up (in a barrel).

My concern is that I need to winterize the motor and do it pretty soon. If oil is getting out then water can get in.... I need to ensure that no water can get in. I suppose I could winterize, clean with alcohol and cover that little square notch (where the oil is draining) with some waterproof tape for the winter.

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48490

That little hole is supposed to be open. Closing it off risks cracking your gearcase housing if water isn't allowed to drain out. As I said, if oil is coming out of there, it is from the powerhead. It will be primarily oil and may not smell like gas at all as the gas tends to evaporate out over time. Check the lower unit oil for milkiness which will confirm water intrusion. Oil doesn't get out without water getting in...

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48491

Very good reason to have your local shop do a pressure test.
Water getting in to those units can be expensive.
Timely repairs do not cost anything , they just save you big money in the long run.

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48494

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Some of the best in the business giving advise here Havoc, we're very lucky to have 'em helping us out. ;)

Mark

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48495

The oil in the picture sure looks lower unit oin. You need to show the fill and drain holes so we can see were the oil level is the that lower unit. Now if you dont have time now to fix it and have to wait till spring just drain the lower unit of oil.
Mike aka the pirate

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48498

Oil level is well above that joint.
There is an O-ring at the joint.
Pressure test is a must, to put the mind at ease or to determine if simple repairs are needed.

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48513

• havock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Here is a picture showing the oil screws

imgur.com/aux9L

I think I will look into getting a pressure test done on the motor next year. Right now I'm more concerned about getting this motor winterized so it doesn't get any freeze damage to it.

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48522

Simple just remove the bottom oil ( fill / drain plug )
If there is no water there just put it back in and leave that oil in for the winter !!!!
Store motor in the normal running position.
There are other water drain holes on the lower unit that need to be checked by a competent individual.These drains sometimes plug up with sand / mud / weeds from the river or lake.
You might want to consider removing the lower unit and then store it in a warm place !!!

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48525

• havock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
The problem with storing it in the vertical position is that is when the oil leaks out of that hole

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48526

You seem reluctant to take " top notch advice "
Take the lower unit off and store it in a warm place !!!!---sorry to be so blunt.

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48599

• havock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm sorry that I seem to have insulted you. I didn't realize asking questions or clarifications made it seem like I was reluctant. As I said I will be getting the motor in for a pressure test.
As far as storing the motor in a vertical position, if I do that the oil is going to drain out of the lower unit, well until it reaches a level below the little notch.
Is that going to cause a problem? What about rain water getting in? We get a lot of thaw/freeze cycles here, how do I address that issue?
Don't misunderstand, I appreciate all the advice....

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48672

If your not going to work on it just pull the fill plug and dran plusg and drain it. No chance of anything freezing that way. Wait atill spring and then check it out. Simple
Mike aka the pirate

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48712

Not sure I'd leave it empty as then that leaves it open to condensation forming inside the unit, resulting in rust of bearings, etc.
Personally, if you're planning on working on it at some point, I'd leave it as is for now (assuming no water was found in the oil) with oil in the unit, put an oil rag or pan under it for the winter and fix it in the spring. Where the oil it exiting is definitely an oil leak, not residual from the powerhead. Unless it is submerged in water it is not going to take any in - rainwater will not enter the hole...

Re:1966 Johnson 40hp Oil Leak 12 years 6 months ago #48715

I strongly recommend arranging with a shop to repair this over the winter. Maybe pay a deposit on repairs.
Finding a shop that will work on it might even be a challenge as I see many places with a sign saying ---" we do not work on motors older than 1985 "
and in the spring most shops are very busy as well.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)