Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Should lower units top shaft spin freely?

Should lower units top shaft spin freely? 12 years 8 months ago #42831

• La007
  • La007's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently removed the powerhead from the entire lower unit and I have a question, the motor is a 1967 Evinrude 80HP Electric Shift. I removed the powerhead and exposed the shaft a the very top of the lower unit, the shaft that goes into the crank. Should that shaft spin freely? If so mine doesn't I cant spin it by hand but I haven't tried very hard at all. I presumably left it in neutral when i shut everything off that last time and was wondering if it should spin easily. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Should lower units top shaft spin freely? 12 years 8 months ago #42837

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The relatively few motors I have worked on (Mercs & Johnsons) did not. I never tried to turn one prior to installing the new water pump impeller, to be honest. Turning the driveshaft by hand (without tools) at at all was impossible, (You DO want to make sure you're turning it the direction it normally rotates to prevent damage to the impeller blades, BTW!)

Maybe one of the true mechanics can explain, I just figured it was partially due to the friction of the impeller in the water pump housing? Not sure if your electric shift defaults to "forward drive" mode, mechanical shift models I think you can turn the prop to rotate the driveshaft. I've learned to insert the impeller into the housing and then install the assembly onto the shaft (while lining up the key way), just makes it easier on my arthritic old hands. ;) May not be the best way, but it works for me.

Mark

Re:Should lower units top shaft spin freely? 12 years 8 months ago #42842

Hello! As Mark stated, the impeller will cause friction and make this shaft challenging to turn by hand. The electro-magnet lower unit "should" default to neutral when disconnected as it requires continuous power to maintain either forward or reverse.

If you are taking your powerhead apart, you may as well spend the additional 30 bucks for parts and 30 minutes time to replace the impeller, and you can then determine if you have a problem once that is removed. From your description, all appears normal to me!

Good Luck!

Re:Should lower units top shaft spin freely? 12 years 8 months ago #42932

>> Not sure if your electric shift defaults to "forward drive"

I believe it does.
Here are some links (both quote the same person):

forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338339
www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?61329-Hydroelectric-shift-solenoids

And say (in part):
(Hydro Electric Shift)
(J. Reeves)

..... The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.

You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Preminum Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube)

In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire.
In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one.
In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear)

Re:Should lower units top shaft spin freely? 12 years 8 months ago #42943

The above post does NOT APPLY to the electramatic shift at all
Totally wrong for the motor in question !!!

Re:Should lower units top shaft spin freely? 12 years 8 months ago #42965

I do have some exp. with this motor, It shouldnt spin freely, if it does you have some trouble.....lol, You are turning a water pump,2 sets of gears and the output shaft, So with enough grip, ya you can turn it, but not spin it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)