• Page:

TOPIC: 61 75 hp ear muffs

61 75 hp ear muffs 12 years 8 months ago #42534

• FANTM58
  • FANTM58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Were can I buy a set of ear muffs for a 61 evinrude 75 hp to run it out of water . also I think I need replacement shocks for the motor,it drops really fast, no resistance.Also how does the speedo work thereis a vacume tube coming to the back and thats it ?
it is on a 61 Glastron fireflite
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:61 75 hp ear muffs 12 years 8 months ago #42540

The OMC engines of this vintage can't use "muffs" as the water getting to the pump won't be enough. TEMPO products used to make a "taco shell" adapter that attached to the water pickup with a spring going over the housing to hold it in place. This screwed to a garden hose. The best adapters for these were a metal plate with a hose attachment on the side. You have to unscrew the 3 screws on the intake bypass plate - which is in the upper left side of the lower unit. The flushing plate screws on.

Don't worry about the shock absorbers - and they were supposed to give resistance when the motor went UP. This was to keep it from tearing the transom off if you plowed into a submerged object when going forward.

The hose for the speedo used pressure. There should be a Pitot (pronounced PEETO)tube on the base of the transom. This had a Pitot that attached to the hose. As water was forced into the pitot tube by forward movement, it compressed the air inside the rubber tube, making the speedometer work. Water never gets to the inside of the speedometer (or at least it shouldn't) If water gets up to the speedo mechanisim, it will ruin it.

Re:61 75 hp ear muffs 12 years 8 months ago #42541

My picture posting skills suck on this forum at the moment... :P

Re:61 75 hp ear muffs 12 years 8 months ago #42544

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Here's some examples of pitot tubes FantM;
www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Accessories/dm/cart_id.169681971--current_category.pitot%20tube--keywords.pitot%20tube--search_in_category.f--searched.1--session_id.029131226
You can make a "test & tune" barrel out of a garbage can, or plastic barrel cut down to the right height for running the motor at home. (It's best to put a drain in the bottom somehow, as they get kinda heavy when they're full of water!)

Mark

Re:61 75 hp ear muffs 12 years 8 months ago #42571

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
This are a couple of flush attachments I have.The plate with the three holes looks like it would be fairly easy to make.
I apologize for the fuzzy pics. :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.465 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)