Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Starter removal 1966 Evinrude 100 HP

Starter removal 1966 Evinrude 100 HP 12 years 8 months ago #42390

How the heck do I remove the starter from a 1966 Evinrude Starflite 100S 100 HP motor? Model number 100683M.

I have removed the metal thingy that has the lifting bar attached to it. I have removed every bolt and screw that I can find. Two plus hours so far trying to get at those bolts and screws. The starter will not budge.

I burnt out the starter and need to replace it. I have another one on another motor that I want to swap.

Both motors are attached to boats.

I also have what I think is a 75 HP Evinrude parts motor from that same time period. It has a starter on it too that I can scavange, if I can figure out how to get it off.

I posted this same inquiry at www.aomci.org

Frustrated in Minnesota, I am,

Andreas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Starter removal 1966 Evinrude 100 HP 12 years 8 months ago #42395

Andreas,

If a picture is worth 1,000 words - then I get to keep this answer short. Look at the photo below. The starter is attached to the engine with 3 bolts. one of them is short, the other two are very long, and run from the bottom of the starter motor up through the top. The jackshaft casting is held in place with a 1/2" hex head bolt. The two yellow dots at the end of the starter motor are 3/8" or 5/16" hex bolts that must be loosened with an open end or box end wrench. Remove the positive battery lead befor doing any removel. You probably alteady did that. The two long bolts under the starter are a bit of a bitch to get at. Don't try to remove them all the way, just loosen them till they drop out of their place. There may be a suport bracket that runs from these two bolts to the intake manifold/crankcase front. If it has one, remove the bolt in the crankcase holding it in place. The starter motor should drop down out of the bracket with no difficulty. If it does not. Lightly bump it with a rubber mallet. When these three mounting bolts have been removed the jackshaft casting & drive gears will also lift right off of the bracket.
Attachments:

Re:Starter removal 1966 Evinrude 100 HP 12 years 8 months ago #42404

Uff da! success finally. I had to ride my bicycle to the hardware store to get a tee nee tiny wrench to get at the bolts on the bottom of the starter. What a pain!

Got the one off the doner motor and tomorrow I will take the bad one off the working motor and make the swap.

Thanks Bruce very much for your response. Very helpful.

I HATE grease and anything motor related! I LOVE sawdust and anything wood related!

Andreas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)