Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: changing 60hp looper for a 70hp looper

changing 60hp looper for a 70hp looper 12 years 8 months ago #42348

I'm not sure if a 60hp looper power head will change with a 70hp power head. Will it work?
Mike aka the pirate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:changing 60hp looper for a 70hp looper 12 years 8 months ago #42359

As long as they are the same displacement (49ci or 56ci) the answer is yes

Re:changing 60hp looper for a 70hp looper 12 years 8 months ago #42369

I did forget to say they are both 1970s
and thanks
Mike aka the pirate

Re:changing 60hp looper for a 70hp looper 12 years 8 months ago #42373

No, they will not swap - assuming they are 1970s era. The 1970 60hp triple is quite different from the 1974 & up 70hp triples, particularly in the exhaust area on the cylinder. That, in turn, makes the mid-section and exhaust tuner diffferent. They also have different ignitions systems, and the 60hp would be electric shift while the 70 is hydromechanical or straight mechanical (depending on year).

If they are late 1980s 60hp and 70hp models (both 56 cubers) then yes, they will swap...

Re:changing 60hp looper for a 70hp looper 12 years 8 months ago #42379

Mike - I'm glad you asked this question - because I want to upgrade a 1969 55 Triumph shorty. I'm on the low end of the learning curve with these loopers still.
Scott and or Prof.. - OK, I've got the 55 triumph and it's a shorty - which is almost impossible to find around here. You've both informed me that the 55 is a 2 port block and the pistoms were prone to failure when abused. So, what is my, and Mike's best move? If I can't drop a 75 powerhead on my shorty -what will drop on? a 65? I don't want to waste money on the 55 block if a more powerful alternative is out there. And keep in mind - I don't mind mixing up parts from various years to make a good runner. Mike - sorry if I Hijacked you - hopefully my questions help you too.

Re:changing 60hp looper for a 70hp looper 12 years 8 months ago #42444

No high jack to worry about we both need info on about the same thing. Only time I might upset is if it goes off on to something else completly.
My friend has the 60 looper and a nice looking motor but a bad cyc and I have 70hp that looks like hell but runs. And that is the reason for the question.
Nike aka the pirate

Re:changing 60hp looper for a 70hp looper 12 years 8 months ago #42549

Mike,
As with most things, you could probably make it work with an appropriate injection of time and money. The 70hp adapter plate might bolt up to the shorty mid in place of the 55 plate. That would eliminate the powerhead to adapter issue. I'm not sure if the old 55 has a fine spline or 4-sided driveshaft at the top. I it is different from the 70 (4-spline) then you could mod the shaft to accommodate it. Then there's the exhaust tuner - I'm not sure how you'd mod that - maybe just cut the one from the 70 short? Or maybe take 5-inches out of the middle and weld it back together? The 55's tuner is noticeably smaller in diameter and would restrict the 70.
Bottom line - it wouldn't be a bolt up swap... but could be done with some mods and ingenuity.
- Scott

Re:changing 60hp looper for a 70hp looper 12 years 8 months ago #42554

3 cylinder loopers all had the same crank spline ( coarse 4 spline ) to about 88 then they went to a " fine spline " from 89 on.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)