Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are 1960 OMC 40's junk?

Are 1960 OMC 40's junk? 12 years 8 months ago #41140

So my trusty "Cheap Outboards" book by Max W. says whatever I do, don't buy a 1960-61 OMC 40 because they're just bored out 25's and never held up very long.

Well Max, the boat came with one.

Actually it looks really clean and low hours, but I have yet to even check compression (yes it turns.) Is it worth putting the work into getting her running - or will she soon leave me stranded on the opposite end of the lake? Cuz it would be a long walk back and I'm not Jesus.

If I'm gonna do a nice restore I'd prefer that the thing stay together once I'm done. Thoughts? thanks.

Kevin
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Are 1960 OMC 40's junk? 12 years 8 months ago #41146

There were some issues with the early 40's but they are not " junk " if the were they would all have been scrapped by 1975.
But in my opinion your best bet is to find a later 40 HP ( beefier crankshaft ) and retro fit that
Better starter / better choke set-up / fixed jet carburetor and one from 63 to 70 is my recommendation.

Re: Are 1960 OMC 40's junk? 12 years 8 months ago #41266

I concur - the first couple years of 40s aren't bad motors, but if you run them hard they can bust the cranks. The crankshafts are virtually the same as the ones used in the first Big Twin 25s and would break at the upper main. The heavier crankshafts fixed that issue... You can mix and match parts to stick a later powerhead under an earlier cowling if you're looking to make it "period correct."

Re:Are 1960 OMC 40's junk? 12 years 8 months ago #41271

Thanks both. Period correct is certainly a goal if it can be reliable. So it sounds like as long as the motor isn't already compromised and I'm not hammering it, I should be able to get some good service? This is intended as an occasional weekend classic playtoy, so maybe I'll be okay. I certainly like the design of it...

Re:Are 1960 OMC 40's junk? 12 years 8 months ago #41297

Correct. Not all of the motors broke cranks - as evidenced by the fact that there are still a lot of them churning up the waterways 50 years later...

Re:Are 1960 OMC 40's junk? 12 years 7 months ago #43103

I know this is an old post, but I'll put in my 2 cents. I have a '61 Lark 40 HP and it runs great! I pull my kids on a tube with no problem. Starts well every time. If you don't mind the smoke from running with gas at 24:1 its a fine motor. The real upside for me is how quiet it runs. When they were new, the ad campaign was something like, "If it was any quieter it wouldn't be running."
;-)

Re:Are 1960 OMC 40's junk? 12 years 7 months ago #43109

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
14' Starcraft with 1961 40hp Johnson. Summer of 1977, running back upriver after an afternoon of boating, motor lost power and died. Towed back to ramp, got home, pulled recoil, flywheel nut rolled off and fell to the driveway- with the top of the crankshaft still inside the nut!!! The stronger cranks from '63 on are peace of mind.

Re:Are 1960 OMC 40's junk? 12 years 7 months ago #44784

to all,

in my 50+ years of "messing about in boats", i've owned TWO early '60s Johnnyrudes (1960 & a 1961) and never had a big problem with either.
(over these decades i must have owned at least a dozen & a half Big Twins.)

imVho, as long as you do NOT abuse them, my guess is that the "early twins" will do you fine.

otoh, my FAVORITE is the mid-sixties Johnson 40, which with proper care seems to just keep on keeping on. - at one point i had a PAIR of them on a BIG/heavy Lone Star aluminum utility, that i took "way too far out" into the Gulf w/o a problem numerous times.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Are 1960 OMC 40's junk? 12 years 7 months ago #45820

I've owned dozens of both early 50's big twin 25hp, 28hp, 35hp, and later 50's and early 60's 40hp twins, and still run a 1962 Gale today. I've never had an issue with one of these motors. If used within it's design limits they will last a long, long time.

Re:Are 1960 OMC 40's junk? 12 years 6 months ago #47980

reelworks,

i, too, have had, at one time or other, MANY Big Twins & totally agree about their longevity.

BUT wouldn't you know that i suddenly NEED a 1958 longshaft OMC 35 & cannot find a suitable OB for my "new to me" Glasspar Trident. - life is indeed strange!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'