Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: considering rebuilding my parts motor

considering rebuilding my parts motor 12 years 8 months ago #41139

When I got my g3 it came with a second spare "locked" parts motor. I put it in the garage and when I needed parts for the running motor I snagged them from it (fuel pump so far). Last night I decided to spray some pb blaster in the cylinder and see if the engine was just rusted... sure enough an hr of pb blaster and it spins free with the exception of the spot where I'm guessing there is a rust line. (did similar on a '46 Willys a couple years ago and the motor is still running perfect).

The question is... should I spend the time and money to rebuild this motor? I found that I can get a rebuild kit for about $450 ( www.powerheadexchange.com ), I figure hottanking will be another $100 and then I'll have prolly 40-60hrs rebuilding it. In the end I would have a basically new motor but it would still just be a 70hp.

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:considering rebuilding my parts motor 12 years 8 months ago #41144

Never hurts to have a spare running motor, god forbid something heppens to your curent running one. Check MarineEngine.com, they seem to have very reasonable prices there. You can also check all the part numbers with the diagrams they have. I've had good luck with them for my Fat Fifty. Seemed to be the cheapest prices I could find also.

Bob

Re:considering rebuilding my parts motor 12 years 8 months ago #41145

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
If it were me, and I had the funds to do it, I would! Having a "back-up motor" sitting there ready to swap out in an hours time at the first sign of (major) trouble = priceless. LOL Just my two cents.

Mark

Re:considering rebuilding my parts motor 12 years 8 months ago #41175

# 1 thing is check compression first.
You may not have to do anything but the basics.

Re:considering rebuilding my parts motor 12 years 8 months ago #41182

I played with it a little more... that "rust ring" is sticking pretty bad. At min its going to have to be honed.

The guy at work was trying to convince me to just make it run and sell it. I cant do that...

a question I have... Is there any way to get some more power out of it? I'm sure punching it out a little will help but, do they make any higher performance parts for the 70?

Re:considering rebuilding my parts motor 12 years 8 months ago #41220

There was a 75 HP version of the 49.6 Cube 70 HP in the mid 80's ----Check out the different parts.

Re:considering rebuilding my parts motor 12 years 8 months ago #41262

my eyes just about crossed checking part numbers... looks like they used a different cankcase and head for the 75. Interestingly though, they used the same head gasket/pistons etc. Makes me wonder if you couldnt use the 75 head and get just a tick more

Re:considering rebuilding my parts motor 12 years 8 months ago #41264

Most of the extra 5 ponies comes from porting changes. Later models used the same head on both, so I'm not sure how big a difference it would make putting a 75 head on a 70.

Realistically, rebuilding it would give you a strong 70. Not much in the way of real hop-up parts available, and unless you're running on a very light hull that would respond well to small changes, you likely won't notice a difference. You'd be better off spending your time and money on set-up items like jack plate, power trim, propellers, hull blueprinting, etc.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)