Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1964 Evinrude Sport 16'

1964 Evinrude Sport 16' 12 years 8 months ago #40627

Fellow Boating Enthusiasts,

I recently acquired, (came into?), a 1964 Evinrude Sport 16' motor boat. To be honest, my boating experience does not go back quite that far and I feel like a fish out of water dealing with this boat. I originally posted this on an iboats.com forum, and it was recommended that I come over here where the experts are! I hope to find someone on this forum that would have a better idea as to what it is worth/more info about the boat.

A little bit of information about the boat (I apologize for the bullet points, but it makes it easier to read):

- The boat is in Excellent shape. It was kept in a garage and maintained by a local mechanic (former Evinrude Tech). It has less than 50 hours of time on the water (family is the original owner) and does not have any noticeable sun, water, or even transport damage to the hull.

-The motor is original and contains a few updated parts to keep it running. 1964 Evinrude 75 HP V4 2 stroke motor (replaced cooling pump, a few seals (thanks mice), and spark plugs this summer). The electronics were replaced last year after I discovered that mice chewed through the throttle, ignition, and (F/R) lines. The motor / components are in perfect working order and speed, compass, and battery gauge still work. It runs surprisingly well according to the mechanic (although it is said you could run another boat off of the exhaust from the engine).

- The Hull is entirely intact and does not have any repair work (never required any). Original seats, steering wheel, deck, paint, etc. This boat is 100% the same boat purchased 47 years ago.

- Original Trailer, with no noticeable marks or damage from loading/unloading.

We were considering keeping the boat as a "once-a-summer" treat, but the mechanic commented that it could have value to a collector. That is why I am turning to yall. So please, someone out there, if you have any idea what this boat is worth let me know. I can answer most questions and want to ensure that taking the boat out on the water as nothing more than a boating enthusiast is not a bad life choice. I guess what I am getting at is that I do not have enough time to use the boat as often as it should be used, so if it is worth something to someone I am not against parting with it. Thank you for your time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1964 Evinrude Sport 16' 12 years 8 months ago #40633

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome EE. Sounds very sweet, do you have any pics ? (The more, the better!) The gang here can give you a better hand if they can take a good look at her. ;)

Mark

Re:1964 Evinrude Sport 16' 12 years 8 months ago #40638

You will get better results with OMC boat questions here. omcboats.org/forum/

Re:1964 Evinrude Sport 16' 12 years 8 months ago #40652

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm buying an Evinrude boat with the same motor tomorrow. The fellow working on it was a boat mechanic his whole life. (family business) He says the "new gas" will eat away the old rubber fuel lines used back in the 1960's. Before you run your boat, replace the rubber fuel lines. Otherwise they become gooey and clog up the fuel system. (so I've been told)

My actual experience is that as long as fuel is flowing and the boat is in constant use, there is no problem. I have witnessed some breakdown when boats sit around with fuel in the lines.

Value is a tough animal to wrangle. If you find a buyer then there is value. Boats like this in good condition bring $5000. My advice is to just use it (but replace the fuel lines first) and enjoy having a classic piece of OMC history that will never be possible again. That crazy 2 cycle stern drive is a conversation starter no mater where you boat.

Re:1964 Evinrude Sport 16' 12 years 8 months ago #40663

jepstr67 wrote:

My advice is to just use it (but replace the fuel lines first) and enjoy having a classic piece of OMC history that will never be possible again. That crazy 2 cycle stern drive is a conversation starter no mater where you boat.

I believe his is an outboard, not a DU I/O

Re:1964 Evinrude Sport 16' 12 years 8 months ago #40702

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
jimandros wrote:

jepstr67 wrote:

My advice is to just use it (but replace the fuel lines first) and enjoy having a classic piece of OMC history that will never be possible again. That crazy 2 cycle stern drive is a conversation starter no mater where you boat.

I believe his is an outboard, not a DU I/O

Yep. It confused me with the added info of "2 stroke" seemingly not necessary for an outboard, but you are correct, a DU would be 88 or 90hp not 75.

Re:1964 Evinrude Sport 16' 12 years 8 months ago #40837

Welcome, EE. You have the boat I'm hoping to restore mine into. All the pluses you mention on yours are minuses on my Sport 16. Transom (was) rotten, fiberglass cracked and sun-faded, brightwork pitted, instruments missing and upholstery gone. But then I (over)paid $100 for it!

I don't know what they are worth, I just wanted a shop project. Many years ago I had a Johnson 19' that I had a lot of good times aboard. Maybe when I get this boat back into shape I'll have some more. Until then I enjoy tinkering with it.

Unlike a 60's collector car, I doubt there is a high-value market for these boats, especially during a recession. I would enjoy it and take care of it.

Re:1964 Evinrude Sport 16' 12 years 8 months ago #40878

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I don't know Clark, Is that old tired boat going to accept those fancy new seats? :laugh:

Although I have to agree, much more fun to install new seats than fix the transom first. :) That's what I would do too!

Re:1964 Evinrude Sport 16' 12 years 8 months ago #40894

Jepstr . . .

Aw, I just tossed those in there - along with the carpet -just to see what they were going to look like. They're not screwed down yet. Here's what I was really working on before the good weather interfered:

I just need to find time to epoxy it in place, now. Then I need to fill the 147 different holes which have been bored in the topsides over the last 47 years and put a half-way decent paint job on it.

Then the wiring (I need to figure out where the motor circuit box is supposed to be mounted - any suggestions?), mount the throttle lever and electric shift buttons and get the 75 hp Starflite running.

Finally, I'll do the interior.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)