• Page:

TOPIC: 1969 johnson 55 hp loop charged o/b - no start

1969 johnson 55 hp loop charged o/b - no start 12 years 8 months ago #40374

• Dia1960
  • Dia1960's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I installed a new key start switch the other day and it had three screws on the back labeled ignition, bat, and sol, the old switch i pulled out however had 4 screws, 2 for ignition, bat and st, I hooked the wires for ignition to the one on the new switch and took a guess on the other two. Today when I hooked a battery up and gave it a test I got a noise from the engine, I'm guessing the solenoid, but the starter did not engage. then i pulled the switch out to look over the wiring again and I got an arc off of another wire that was not hooked up and now it doesn't even make the sound on the engine.

First I would like to know if I wired the key start wrong or if it's something else
Second I would like to know if I shorted anything out and where to start looking for the solution
and third I would like to know what would have stopped the starter from engaging.

the motor is a 69 Johnson 55 loop charged

thanks. any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1969 johnson 55 hp loop charged o/b - no start 12 years 8 months ago #40489

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sorry nobody has responded yet Dia1960, but I'll give it a go with you here. First I'd get the right Ignition switch, and get your hands on a wiring diagram. It's very important that those wires are hooked up correctly or damage can (and probably HAS) occur(ed). Here's a link to a site that has some wiring diagrams;
www.maxrules.com/wireindex.html
Then we need to check your starter solenoid, any fuses, etc. that may have been damaged by the inadvertent power surge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted