Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 75HP Johnson....I think...not running....need help

75HP Johnson....I think...not running....need help 12 years 9 months ago #38755

My plans are to learn as much as a can about these motors. I was told it was a '63 but I am going to verify, because I think the boat it a '64(doesn't mean motor could not be a '63)

It is a 75HP Johnson and will I was trying to fire it up yesterday it turns over and then after a couple seconds there is a loud pop...almost a backfire sound. I have put new plugs on it I will get a spark tester and compression checker...but any thoughts?

It has run recently so the previous owner said.

It is a Johnson Super Sea Horse, Electric, I think 75HP
V4S 15R

Thanks to all you who are much smarter than I....I am getting more knowledgeable every day

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:75HP Johnson....I think...not running....need help 12 years 9 months ago #38756

Attachments:

Re:75HP Johnson....I think...not running....need help 12 years 9 months ago #38760

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
1963. Try opening the carb jets 1/2 turn.

Re:75HP Johnson....I think...not running....need help 12 years 9 months ago #38769

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I believe Andgott has the manual for that motor posted on his website;
www.agott.com/glassboat/manuals.html
Have you covered the basics - fresh gas, fresh spark plugs, etc.?

Mark

Re:75HP Johnson....I think...not running....need help 12 years 9 months ago #38782

First do a compression test.
Check carburetor for cleanliness.
Take note of the timing marks.
Remove magneto
clean / repace points, replace condenser. Have coil tested with a MERC-O-TRONIC ignition analyzer.----Inspect / replace impeller.---Drain and refill gearcase.

Re:75HP Johnson....I think...not running....need help 12 years 9 months ago #39013

ok, I have put in new plugs, new gas, the compression seems ok, however I do not know what would be acceptable numbers, they are all withing 10% of each other 85-80-85-85.

After a crank for awhile I get a loud backfire, smoke from the exhaust and it will not start. Would this be a timing issue possibly?

How would you proceed? I was told from the guy I bought it from that the motor did run, but he replaced the magneto and I am starting to wonder if that did not get back together the right way.

Please help.

Re:75HP Johnson....I think...not running....need help 12 years 9 months ago #39034

try squarting some gas in the carb and see if it will run for a few seconds. If it fires its a fuel problem.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:75HP Johnson....I think...not running....need help 12 years 9 months ago #39104

Pull the plugs, are they wet? If so and since it does fire once in a while, it does seem to have spark and fuel. Compression is enough to run. So my guess is timing will be found to be off.

Re:75HP Johnson....I think...not running....need help 12 years 9 months ago #39188

sounds to me like the fireing order maybe incorrect, that would be my next ck

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)