Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need help with a motor

Need help with a motor 12 years 9 months ago #38252

Greetings fellow boaters,

I have just got my hands on a Johnson SeaHorse 35 Model Rd-19 c Ser. 1724381 its a sexy little motor, at least she will be. It has good compression don't know the numbers but will. Is there any one here that can give me a push off in the right direction to find a tune up kit and other replacement parts, id also like to find the replacement decals for the sides of the lid, as well do any of you know whare to find the correct colored paints for the late 50s. Is thare some one that can steer me to a boat that this little motor would look good behind?

Thank you Phillip B in Burlington WA
Contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need help with a motor 12 years 9 months ago #38257

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Phillip. The JEGO forum is down for repairs right now, but there is a wealth of info in there on your motor. There are some folks here who will be glad to advise you on getting the old girl whipped into shape, just be patient and give them a chance to respond.

While waiting, you may want to check out Peter's website;
www.nymarine.ca/
He carries what is generally considered to be the best in the business on decals, paints, etc..

EBay and CraigsList can be your best source for parts and possible boats to mount the motor on, just be very careful especially on CL! The Glassifieds here can also be an excellent source for stuff, just have to keep checking back frequently. (Good deals don't hang around long!)

Good luck and keep us posted on what you're looking for, specifically. The Glassic Library may be a good place to start looking for a model that pleases your tastes.

Mark

Re:Need help with a motor 12 years 9 months ago #38258

Your basic tune-up bits like coils, points, condensers, carb kits, waterpump impellers, seals, etc. are likely still readily available at your local Evinrude dealer. Lacking one of those, you can check with your local NAPA Auto Parts store. Many NAPA stores don't even know they carry the parts, but they do. They handle the Sierra line of parts. If you need them, I can get you the part numbers for NAPA so you can go in with them in hand...
- Scott

Re:Need help with a motor 12 years 9 months ago #38261

Find a Johnson dealer that was around when the motor was made. They probably have what you need as well as some expertise on that motor. The one I use has 4 extra keys that fit my 64.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Need help with a motor 12 years 9 months ago #38299

I can check with my son. He used to have a cute little 1957 14' Reinell sitting out in his pasture in Stanwood. It would need the usual stringer and transom repair, of course.

Re:Need help with a motor 12 years 9 months ago #38351

Thanks id love to take a look at it. I got this motor of crags list free. It is set up for a stirring wheel and throttle controls. Is you son looking to sell or donate? I have to work buying any thing around the school quarters when I get my money for class. Im attending the SVC Marine Tech classes and loving it.

Re:Need help with a motor 12 years 9 months ago #38405

I'd have to ask him. If he still has it lying around, it's my feeling he'd just as soon have it gone - but I can't speak for him. I hope to call him today and ask.

I seem to remember talking to him about it a few months past and he didn't even remember having it, so it may be history. Don't get yur hopes up until I check.

Re:Need help with a motor 12 years 9 months ago #38410

www.vintageoutboard.com

I'm fixing up an old QD-16 (55' 10hp), vintage outboards has what you need. Replace the coils, points, condensers, plugs & wires. Might want to do a carb rebuild and don't forget the impellar.

They run forever with a little work.

Re:Need help with a motor 12 years 9 months ago #38415

Any part you may need can be found by posting a free ad on the AOMCI Webvertize

www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=Webvertize

Be sure to leave an email address

The coils point and water pump can be bought at your local NAPA...their Sierra parts...they will have to order them Get the part # from the web page and take it to the NAPA

www.go2marine.com/productcenters/sierra/marine/Johnson_Evinrude_Parts.shtml

Beside the cowling and elec start this is the same motor
s790.photobucket.com/albums/yy189/adc2242/Manuals/RJE%20RJEL-19/

Be best while you are changing the pump to go ahead and replace all the seals in the LU

Before you use the the motor you need to remove the float in the carb and coat it wit either fuel proof model airplane dope or supper glue to protect it from the ethanol that is in the gas now days

BTW I just picked up my 7th late 50s 35hp OMC motor yesterday and have a 55 30hp and 2 53 25hp.....I love them

CAVU

Re:Need help with a motor 12 years 9 months ago #38597

I spoke with the son today and he no longer has the boat - sorry. He said he'd ask around to a couple of friends to see if there is anything lying around you could use. That would be handy because he is so near you.

I'll let you know if he finds anything.

Re:Need help with a motor 12 years 9 months ago #38634

Thanks.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)