Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What Can You Tell Me About This Motor?

What Can You Tell Me About This Motor? 12 years 9 months ago #38232

Posting here because JEGOs seems to be malfunctioning.

This is in the field across from my house, hasn't moved for two years. Never covered.

I asked the kids that play in the field, all they knew is that it was "broken," Cosmetically it looks nice, but I don't care to think about what it looks like under the floor, and now my rescuer complex is starting to kick in.

What year is the motor? I might take a closer look at the boat sometime but it's really the motor I'm interested in.

I currently run a 1966 Starflite 100. Good running motor but it won't last forever. What difference would I notice on a 900 pound boat going from an old heavy 100 to a lighter 85? Would the lighter motor make up for some of the horse power loss?

Edit: Just looked it up, my Starflite claims to weigh 273 pounds, less than I thought.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What Can You Tell Me About This Motor? 12 years 9 months ago #38259

Motor looks like about a 1978 or so. Decent motors, although they had a tendency to bust pistons. It was a recall item at the time and they would either replace the powerhead or replace the pistons with the later style ones that were less prone to breaking. The bad ones were referred to as "high ring" pistons, due to how close the top ring was to the piston dome. This left a thin web of piston material between the ring and dome and it was prone to breaking. Other than that, no major weaknesses I'm aware of...

Re:What Can You Tell Me About This Motor? 12 years 9 months ago #38268

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Depending on exact year and when they changed the way they rated HP the old 100 MAY be about the same as the "new" 85.You would have to weigh out the two motors to see if there is a big difference in lbs.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:What Can You Tell Me About This Motor? 12 years 9 months ago #38271

there is a 64 or 63 ,75 hp starflite in my garage right now,and it has to be more then 273 lbs,its a monster,it looks too big to be that light.but what do i know about it,lol,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:What Can You Tell Me About This Motor? 12 years 9 months ago #38283

I agree...it is a late 70's for sure. I had this '74 that besides blowing a lower unit out first ski trip, it ran a great many hours hard(skiing, tubing, wakeboarding etc) and I had no problems with it whatsoever. As you can tell I had cleaned this one up with some new not-original paint.

YOu should check compression as the first step...as always. You have that they you are well on your way to being confident she is 'fixable' ...since she is "broke'

Attachments:

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:What Can You Tell Me About This Motor? 12 years 9 months ago #38293

That motor should weigh 288 lbs. 301 lbs. with power trim.

Re:What Can You Tell Me About This Motor? 12 years 9 months ago #38295

No difference in the horsepower ratings. They didn't switch the industry standard until 1985...

Re:What Can You Tell Me About This Motor? 12 years 9 months ago #38297

It is common for folks to believe that " new " motors are lighter and it just is not true.
That 85 in the picture has a very good electronic ignition system and will match the performance of the 66 - 100 HP due to lower unit / prop design.

Re:What Can You Tell Me About This Motor? 12 years 9 months ago #38298

I have a set of good balance (think "doctor's office") scales in my shop. Using the chain hoist, I set my 1964 75 hp Starflite on the platform. It weighed in at exactly 250 lbs, without the cowling.

Re:What Can You Tell Me About This Motor? 12 years 9 months ago #38304

The 71 / 72 OMC motors 125 HP were listed in the brochure at 252 lbs -now the 1990's modern V-4 weighs in at 300 lbs

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)