Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Johnson Seahorse Assembly screw replacements

Johnson Seahorse Assembly screw replacements 12 years 11 months ago #32630

Motors in question: 1958 35hp Johnson Seahorse Model # RDE-19C.

I'm trying to plan ahead for the NEXT lower unit / gear case maintenance and am pretty sure I should use new screws/bolts when the units are reassembled. The head slots are getting worn and I fear most of them have only enough slot left to remove them one more time.

MarineEngine.com has the screws to attach the bottom gear case housing to the upper housing for $1.70/ea (prt #0330562)and the screws to attach the lower unit to the powerhead (prt #329894) for $3.96/ea - That ends up at around $50.00 + freight for about 18 screws.

The bottom gear case screws have a flange wider than the head (like a built in washer) but the lower unit to powerhead screws don't seem to have particularly special characteristics.

Should I just pony up the cash for the OEM hardware or does anyone have a good alternative.

Thanks,
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Johnson Seahorse Assembly screw replacements 12 years 11 months ago #32632

Use stainless from the local harware store
Should be about $10.00 total
Make sure you cut / fit the exact same length as original !

Re:Johnson Seahorse Assembly screw replacements 12 years 11 months ago #32648

The screws you are looking for (prt #0330562) are called Fillister head screws I buy mine at Fastenal...You will need to give them 3 to 4 days to get them in They can also get you stainless steel bolts...Give me till Tues and I can get you the size and length of both

Fastenal
Decatur, GA 30033
2968 N Decatur Rd Ste A
Phone: (404)299-8011
Fax: (404)299-1501

www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=txO&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EvbZTYO7MaXh0QH0s6D8Aw&ved=0CHAQsAQ&biw=830&bih=469&q=FILLISTER%20HEAD%20SCREWS

Replacing every screw on my motors when I restore them is less then $38...The last one I did was a 1957 long shaft Bigtwin that I just did...(paint goes on this week I hope)

I love the look of a restored motor with the right screws and the head not messed up

The RDE-19 did use stainless steel (SS) screws on the LU however not anywhere above the waterline (motor etc) and it is best if you do not use SS anywhere on above the waterline

CAVU

Re:Johnson Seahorse Assembly screw replacements 12 years 11 months ago #32663

Thanks TT! I had found the screw type but couldn't find slotted, just hex head. Didn't even think about Fastenal. I usually go to McMaster-Carr.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)