Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1971 4 hp Johnson cooling tell-tale?

1971 4 hp Johnson cooling tell-tale? 12 years 11 months ago #32566

Hi Troops............

I'm starting to use a 1971 4 hp Johnson which my son gave me. I took it out on the lake for the first time yesterday and had a heck of a time starting it - until I finally got the mixture adjustments dialed in.

I kept looking for some indication of cooling water flow, but I guess this little blender motor doesn't have a tell-tale. I had the cowling off, so I dripped a bit of water on the head from time to time and it seemed to run nice and cool.

Is there a tell-tale (pee-hole)? If not, how do you know when the water pump decides it's time to pack it in?

While I'm asking, it seems that one has to reach down into the water to release the tilt lock on this motor. I don't know why it needs a tilt lock at all, since there is no reverse gear (you just turn the motor 180° to go backwards). Is there any reason I can't just spring load the lock so I can tilt the motor up easily when heading to shore?

Redact! I have figured out the tilt lock. The motor does need to be locked down when it is turned around past the 90° mark. Johnson designed the motor lock to ride on a cam. When the motor is facing forward, it is unlocked. When it is swiveled past 90°, the cam falls away and the lock engages.

My motor lock bracket was bent badly and was always locked, unless you dunked you hand in the drink and lifted the lever. A few well-placed swats with a #3 beating device and it's working right again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1971 4 hp Johnson cooling tell-tale? 12 years 11 months ago #32591

Hi Clark,
There is a series of exhaust relief holes in the rear of the motor leg, below the locking mechanism you "adjusted". Those holes should blow a fine mist of water when running. That's the only telltale you'll get from that little bugger...
- Scott

Re:1971 4 hp Johnson cooling tell-tale? 12 years 11 months ago #32676

Aha! Well, I guess next time out, I'll have to see if I can see those whilst motoring along. I doubt they'd be visible at idle. The motor is so quiet, I assume the exhaust must be well submerged. Those holes may be as well.

Thanks!

Re:1971 4 hp Johnson cooling tell-tale? 12 years 11 months ago #32679

They sure are visible at idle and not submerged.
They are the idle relief after all !!!

Re:1971 4 hp Johnson cooling tell-tale? 12 years 11 months ago #32815

Now, that's a feature I can use! When I'm out on the lake for a couple of hours and need to get rid of my morning coffee, there's always some gal in the next boat. It'll be great to just sit there and get some relief . . . :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)