Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: stubborness bold stump outboard 1959 E-Rude V-4 50

stubborness bold stump outboard 1959 E-Rude V-4 50 12 years 11 months ago #32510

• g3jim
  • g3jim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
A plea to the OMC Gods

I am fighting the good fight with my 59 E-Rude fat 50. I have it timed, I installed a new carb kit into it (float everything) blew it out with air. Yesterday when cranking it over I noticed my fuel was full of water (yea ethanol!!!). So I removed my carburetor again and blew it all out again. Got it to fire once but my tank water was low so I stopped the motor. Now it will not run again.

Here is the thing I am tumbling over it cranks and acts like it is out of time or has water in it. I do from time to time see water on the plugs. Since I am sure I fed this old gal with a good dose of H20 yesterday while cranking should I now remove the carburetor AGAIN and then remove the reed plates and blow her out w/air??

I do not think my woodruff key broke, I am getting plenty of good spark and I am on the mark all around as far as timing, I have 110 lbs compression on all four cylinders, I rebuilt my fuel pump already.

Any words of encouragement or advice will be appreciated. I am on the cusp of having her running.

Thank you in advance

Jim (aka G3Jim)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: stubborness bold stump outboard 1959 E-Rude V-4 50 12 years 11 months ago #32511

" good spark " means something that will jump a gap of 1/4" or more with ease and a snap you can hear.
You can always put #1 at TDC and mark flywheel and block then put a timing light on it to see where it fires. This would be a double check on all the timing marks for the magneto.

Re: stubborness bold stump outboard 1959 E-Rude V-4 50 12 years 11 months ago #32513

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
yes her spark is good and hot. I just went through the mag distrib with new points condenser and magneto on her. I think she is moist on her innerds I am just trying to bounce some ideas I guess see if anyone else can help me think out loud!!
I need to get her done I have a 28 I need to put in the tank and have ready for Sunday. I think I am going to pull the carb again and get into the reed plate and dry her out best I can.
this is a keeper motor for me. I am placing it on a 1959 Sea King Runabout.

thank you Professor

Re: stubborness bold stump outboard 1959 E-Rude V-4 50 12 years 11 months ago #32517

If compression is right , spark and timing is right then a bit of mixed fuel into the throats and you will hear the roar.

Re: stubborness bold stump outboard 1959 E-Rude V-4 50 12 years 11 months ago #32520

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
almost professor.....
when I pull the plugs from 1 and 3 I notice water on the end of the plugs consistently. This didn't happen until I replaced the water pump impeller so I am going to pop the head and get a look at the gasket. I hope it is not the block.
When I pull 1 and 3 plugs she cranks fine and wants to start and try to run on 2 and 4

would anyone have any leads on a set of head gaskets for my 1959 V-4 50?? P/N 305174 or what the number may have superseded to?

Re: stubborness bold stump outboard 1959 E-Rude V-4 50 12 years 11 months ago #32522

Lots of places to find that head gasket ---It is not a rare item
Try
shop.evinrude.com
find it on the 1968 ---65 HP model
or marineengine.com
lots of parts info there too.

Re: stubborness bold stump outboard 1959 E-Rude V-4 50 12 years 11 months ago #32523

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
so it rev'd to a 0553753 or that gasket from the 1968 65 hp will fit? I got the head undone but have not pulled it yet as I wanted to be sure I could get a gasket first. I may just freshen them all up at this point as long as I do not see anything catastrophic in there.
once again I say thank you!!

Re: stubborness bold stump outboard 1959 E-Rude V-4 50 12 years 11 months ago #32524

Why would I suggest a 68 gasket if it does not fit ??????
Any knowledgeable / old school / well stocked dealer will have those on hand !!!

Re: stubborness bold stump outboard 1959 E-Rude V-4 50 12 years 11 months ago #32530

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
thank you Professor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)