• Page:

TOPIC: Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water

Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water 13 years 1 month ago #27233

• aquatech
  • aquatech's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I've had this motor for about twelve years now and I finally got a smaller rowboat to use it with for duck hunting. Five years ago I asked my father inlaw to take the motor into the shop to get an estimate for giving it a once over. He was taking in another motor for service, so I thought it was a good opportunity to get a quote. Well, I get a call from my father inlaw - my motor is done, works good, you owe me $200. What? What did he do with it? "I don't know - he got it running." I know these motors running in good condition aren't worth much more than that. Lesson learned, I didn't have a good boat for the motor, so it sat.

Now I got the boat last fall and I put the motor in a bucket and ran it briefly. It fired up after a couple of pulls, but wouldn't pump water, so I immediately shut it down. The block didn't even get warm.

Well, I got the old cabin fever and got the motor out to work on in the basement last month. On advice here, I bought a service manual on eBay and gave the motor a good cleaning. Tonight I opened up the water pump, expecting to find a bad impeller. But, what I did find was basically a brand new impeller - no wear.

So, I reassembled the lower end - maybe when the service was done the mechanic didn't insert the water tube correctly? I know it was kind of tricky when I put it back together. I'll try running it again Friday. Anyone here have any other advice - things to look for?

Sorry this post got kind of windy. A few pics of the motor before cleaning.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water 13 years 1 month ago #27236

I know nothing about those little egg beaters, but if it's like most newer motors, it has a thermostat. It may have to warm up before it stating spitting hot water out. Let it warm up.

Re:Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water 13 years 1 month ago #27237

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Not sure about these having a thermostat, but a water passage can get blocked by nesting insects. If the lower unit is still off, give the passages a quick shot of compressed air to be sure nothing is obstructing the flow. Mud daubers are the worst. They can plug a cooling tube so bad, it sets like concrete. Very hard to remove.

Re:Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water 13 years 1 month ago #27243

NO THERMOSTAT ON IT
Is the impeller factory or aftermarket---Any # on it ??

Re:Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water 13 years 1 month ago #27252

Correct - no thermostat.

Also, on many of those little lower units there was a plastic base that seats in the bottom of the waterpump area. It has "teeth" on it that seat in corresponding holes in the lower unit casting. That piece has to be there and properly aligned or it won't pump.

Also, those motors do run on the hot side - at least by appearances. The exhaust cover is only cooled along one edge and the cylinder head is only cooled along the outer edges. Much of the exhaust cover, and where the spark plug is on the cylinder head will get very hot. They don't have a tell-tale, per se. Rather, they mist water out the exhaust relief holes on the back of the motor leg. Make sure the unit is fully submerged well above the pump area.

- Scott

Re:Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water 13 years 1 month ago #27281

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Scott nailed it here. "They don't have a tell-tale, per se. Rather, they mist water out the exhaust relief holes on the back of the motor leg." I have 2 of them, great little motors. Have one on the bench now, just rewound a new recoil spring..(yes, easy, but theres a trick to it) Stick it in the bucket, fire it, and stick your palm behind the 4 holes under the bottom swivel. Get wet?...your are fine. Most goes out the bottom. Theres also an upgrade kit water pump kit for them. New housing, smaller impeller.

Re:Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water 13 years 1 month ago #27289

• aquatech
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for all the help. I'll start her back up tomorrow, weather permitting. If I don't feel some moisture coming out - I will take it apart again and look a little harder.

Re:Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water 13 years 1 month ago #27678

• aquatech
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well, finally got it outside and started. It does give off a good mist under power (hand gets wet), so I'm guessing it's good to go.

Now I can work on replacing the choke switch knob, the lost high speed mix knob and think about some paint.

Thanks again for the advice!

Re:Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water 13 years 1 month ago #27684

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good to go, as a mist is all you get..rest out the bottom.

Re:Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water 13 years 1 month ago #27716

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Oh yeah..NEVER touch the middle Phillips screw, top the rope starter Cowl! Or there goes the spring. There are 4 bolts under, to pull the recoil off. Also don't get all hogwild, yanking, as that, and if you do a full, end the line rope, and breaks? Looking for a new recoil spring. They are available though, and a simple rewind, is easy, but a trick. You, or any others with those old JohnnyRude Mates..need to re-spring it, show ya the "way". I LOVE those little 31 pound motors, self contained gas, always ready to fire. Heck, weighs the same as old wood oars! Clamp it anywhere it fits, fire, get ya home! And if you want to restore orig, bet NYMarine (copy, goggle search) has paint and decals. Again, GREAT little old 2 stroke...and they damn sure aint making them any more!

Re:Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water 13 years 1 month ago #27717

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Heres one for ya, a pic I took, off my Flatbottom monster. as live with here WA, Puget Sound, zillion miles water of water, if going somewhere way out, I stuff it under the bow..needed, clamp and go, just hope enough beers, at 2 mph, to get me home!
Attachments:

Re:Evinrude 1972 Mate 2hp Not Pumping Water 13 years 1 month ago #27718

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Oh yeah, if any curious, that upside down, "911". Heres another pic..(boat bought off Doc Frankenmerc, and he's a cop, and he built the crank up fresh rebuild, the "TOP..!..little .."play on words", get a grin off it others too..
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)