Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1986 Johnson 60 hp ?

1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #19460

I'm in search of a motor for my 1968 Corson 17 ft which I am in the process of restoring. I've come across a 1986 Johnson 60 hp with all controls and power trim/tilt. It's for sale at $1,500 with a 1 year warranty starting next season. First ? Is this year/hp motor any good- prone to breakdowns etc.- Second ? Is $1,500 a good price.
I'm a first time boat owner but have been restoring muscle cars for years. Any assistance/recommendations would be great. Thanks in advance
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #19463

You should be able to pick up a motor like that in running condition for around $200 to $600. Unless that motor haa been complectly restored I wouldn't pay that much. I would look for another moter. You can get a boat motor and trailer for that price
look here and craigs list and want adds
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #19471

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I would agree with Mike (aka pathfinderz1) that $1500 sounds pretty high. That motor is now what, 24 yrs old. I would say it's probably more in the $500 to $700 range if it's in great shape, low hours (or recently overhauled by someone who knew what they were doing, maybe $800.) Just my two cents worth.....

Mark

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #19480

Thanks supposedly it has been completely rebuilt, cyc overbored, new pistons, etc.. I'm going to see the machine shop and check out their procedures. I've rebuilt several auto motors and can tell the quality of the build by the shop procedures and parts used. If it's a quality complete rebuild is $1,500 still to high?

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #19491

For
old cars a motor was not broke in till it had over a 1000 miles on it.
Now here is something to think about. In most places you can only got boating 3 months out of the year and if you are lucky you might get a months use out of the motor a year. Now figure a 50 year old motor has only a little over 4 years use on it. Now thats just a well broke in motor. There are plenty of part around for motor 50 years old. I didn't know anything about outboard 15 years ago and now I can take them apart and put back togather and it will run. These old motors are so easy to work on. Unlee you just got the money burning a hole in you pocket and have to spend it then do it.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #19494

Thanks hadn't thought of it in those terms. I will probably pass on that motor. I guess I'll look for something that has been serviced regularily.

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #19519

As a counterpoint - $1500 isn't too far off for a motor that has had that much work AND comes with a warranty. If you buy a 25-year old motor off Craigslist for $500 with no warranty and it blows up first time out, you could easily drop more than $1000 into it to rebuild it. I sold a similar motor a couple years ago for $1000 and it had only been given a top-to-bottom tune-up, not rebuilt.

Plus, in my book the 3-cylinder Johnrudes are some of the best motors ever built. Fantastic fuel economy, great power for their size, good parts availability, solid reliability, and the one you're looking at has power trim to boot!

- Scott

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #19725

---$1500.00 is a good deal for a rebuilt motor with new pistons / impeller / lower unit resealed.
Warranty on used motors is the absolute biggest Factor.
At $100.00 / HR at most knowledgeable shops , bargain motors that need major repair are quickly deemed " worthless "

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #19806

Just for reference, I purchased a 76' 70 HP Evinrude for $650 3 weeks ago.
I fired it up this weekend. I was pleased.
It has a few issues, but has never been rebuilt and is super clean.

I think you should still check out the shop.
Compare that $1500 to a new engine.
Since you have some decent knowledge that alone is priceless, and time is on your side.
Even if you don't buy that engine keep them in mind if a fix'er upper shows up in their shop.

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #19859

Good advice all!!... I'm going to check out the shop this weekend. Also want to get some refrences on former/current customers to see how good the Warranty is and how often it is needed!!

Other than machine shop service, are than many speciality tools needed for a rebuild of an outboard?

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #19860

You can do all the work your self and shouldn't need a michine shop for anything. You can get a hone to hone the cylandes out your self. Other then that just hand tools. If your going to put in new rings you can break a ring and use it to clean out ring groves on the piston.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #19896

No real special tools needed to do an outboard motor.
There are however many factory special tools that are " shop time savers "
not needed at home
there is a lot more to rebuilding an outboard than honing and new rings.
The piston ring grooves suffer and putting new rings in them is not always a good idea.
On those OMC motors with the pressureback rings ( AKA breakalot rings )it is better to install WISECO pistons that have a better ring configuration.

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #20214

Just to double check - do you know the height of the transom on your boat? If it's 15" The engine has to be a short shaft. 20" would be a standard shaft. The correct motor length is very important.

I personally don't think the price is bad for a professionally rebuilt engine with a warranty. the engine kits alone are hundreds of $$. Good runing engines less than 30 years old are usually worth more $$ than 50 year old engines. Worn out junkers are a dime a dozen. Good engines bring the money.

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #20229

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Ishmayl, did you ever go by and check out the shop? Good points and perspectives brought up by all here, BTW!

Mark

Re:1986 Johnson 60 hp ? 13 years 5 months ago #20248

Yes I did check out the shop- Very competent,clean, with up to date equipment. There were several motors their being worked on. Since the season is over here in Maine I think I'll continue looking for a motor. I've had a few leads on motors- might find a used one I can run for a year or two and rebuild it at a later date.

In the mean time I'm busy working on the hull of the Corson. Removed the deck and found the transom needs rebuilding. Following the post on transom work. Completed reupholstering the seats.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)