Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dual motors

Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1745

Got my 1961 not 62 Texas Maid 20' Electra home last weeknd. Got her gutted and cleaned up. Now Iam looking for motor or motors.

I realy like the look of dual motors in the old brochures. Was looking for Evinrude or Johnson 35 to 50 hp motors. Iam am strictly going for looks this is not going to be a off shore boat. So I realy dont need two motors. Would just like to have 60 to 100 hp total.

How did the old boats control boxes work? Was there just one that went to both motors or like modern ones sperate controls for each motor. In the Texas Maid Brochure I can only see three levers.

Thanks for the Ideas
Matthew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1746

If I had to guess, if theres only 3 levers. I would say one is reverse and each motor has independent throttle(the remaining 2) Just my two cents.

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1754

I tought may be two were shift one for each engine and one throttle. That away they are at same speed? The two are together and one is by its self.

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1755

OMC had 4 two short for shift, and two long for throttle

You could forward one and reverse the other for sharper turns at the dock. Or just put one in gear for slow moving

If you had tac you could adj the throttles as to be truing the same rpm

The leaver are side by side as to be able to move both port and starboard shift or throttle together

This is the set up I have stored away for when I get both of my Johnson Golden Javelins running and on back of the Yellow Jacket

CAVU

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1771

Here is a pic of the dual controls I think you're talking about
or not, can't get the pic to upload
Attachments:

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1772

Bill's pic:
Attachments:

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1773

OK see if you can make this one magically appear
Attachments:

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1776

Okay... :)

Bill's 2nd pic.
Attachments:

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1786

Wow, you're good!
Why didn't it work for me?

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1792

Not entirely sure Bill. The only thing I noticed is that when I tried to attach it as a .jpeg file, like you, it didn't work. I attached it as a .jpg and it worked fine. This software may not properly recognize .jpeg files. The file uploaded okay but wouldn't show up visually using img tags.

Your image files and method of attaching were correct, just not working properly. I saved the files, then re-attached as .jpg file.

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1837

I didn't know there were different jpegs, I thought it was just because computers hate me. They really do.

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1845

barnickelbill wrote:

I didn't know there were different jpegs, I thought it was just because computers hate me. They really do.

I've found that usually all files will show when saved as a jpg, not not always when they are as a jpeg. I don't know why that is....

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1850

Here is a link to the installation instuctions for that control:

s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh239/smhawkeyer/1957%20Simplex%20Control/

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1879

Its realy easy just to hook up to controls. I did it whan I had a troll motor and had 2 controls had the troll motor link up so could steer it also. You can mount them up side by side or one mounted into the botom hole and the first control.
Mike aka pathfinderz1
PS
I will look and see if I have any pix

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1969

Bill and Glastron Thanks for the pics.

Tall Texan the set up your talkiing about is what I would like to find. Up here in Central Texas I guess it wasnt as common as down on the Gulf.

I have found a 85hp Merc but realy want a dual Johnson or Evinrude.

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #1985

Twins are fun (when they work)

Andreas

Re: Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #2034

Bryanfenwick has a set of omc dual controls. Call him at 623 478 2558

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #2062

While dual motors may require more work to set up , they make sense for a larger ( over 18 feet) vintage boat. The safety aspect of having dual motors is one advantage. I only have one 40 hp. motor on my boat, but I always take my emergency kicker motor with me. And, you can get your 60 to 80 hp. total power using dual older classic outboards of 30 to 40 hp. each. The total weight of classic dual motors is higher than a single newer motor of the same total horsepower, but the classic look of duals is great.

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #2166

Andreas that looks way cool. Do you have a picture form the outside of the boat of the motors. And your controls.

Thanks Hesters59 but I need every thing not just controls. Yes I bought a boat wiht no motor lol .

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #2172

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Matthew, not only do they look cool, there's no sound as sweet as twins singing in unison behind you! It's been a long time, but I still remember the melody like it was yesterday.

You may want to consider snatching up the available controls, then work on getting the cables. Those buggers are getting really tough to find, and finding a complete assy with the right length cables makes the odds astronomical. Just a suggestion. :)

PS If you don't have the motors yet, it may not make sense to go there just yet. I'm famous for getting the cart before the horse.

Mark

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #2269

Here's shot of the twins and the boat from the backside. I do not have pics of the control box. However, it's the same as the one pictured in a previous post in this thread. Mine are painted the Johnson colours of course.

Andreas

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #2271

Here's a nice set from Mt. Dora a few years back
Attachments:

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #2547

Thanks Andreas very nice

Barnickelbill what year are those Johnsons? :ohmy:
Those are super sweet looking

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #2550

That boat would look really sharp with a set of twin '61 40 horse Evinrudes. :laugh:
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #2595

They are 58's. I'm working on a couple for my Glastron, hope they turn out as nice.
Attachments:

Re:Dual motors 14 years 1 month ago #2741

Yes the Evinrude would look sweet. I saw that very same motor on Lake LBJ this past wknd. LOVE the retro look !!!!

The 1958 Johnsons may be to old looking for this boat but those are super cool looking!!!!! Look great on a fin boat.
:lol:
Sent some pics whin you get done Bill. Looks like ur doing a total overhaul.

Re:Dual motors 14 years 4 days ago #4994

Well after I bought two 40 hp OMCs last weekend. Now Iam going to go get two 35 hp Evinrudes. There 1959 with four lever control box and two two lever boxes. No motors now Iam over run. Hope to have pictures Soon.

Re:Dual motors 13 years 11 months ago #5749

Two 1959 35 Larks
Attachments:

Re:Dual motors 13 years 11 months ago #5750

Got this control box, but it says Johnson Ship Master. I have tow Evinrudes of the same vintage could I just chankge out name plate? And I do have a extra knob. I need to get on the ball and get them put on and get um wet!!!!!
Attachments:

Re:Dual motors 13 years 11 months ago #5778

Yes, you can change the name plate. OMC used one control box and just changed the name plate and paint scheme depending upon which branch : Evinrude, Johnson, Gale.

Andreas

Re:Dual motors 13 years 11 months ago #5863

The control box you have is for mounting on the port side- these can be converted to starboard configuration with the parts from a starboard two-lever control.

Re:Dual motors 13 years 11 months ago #5892

Thanks Thompson & Andy, What color I have seen both black and white? And its going on the port side so no need to change out levers. It kinda looks like you could just run the cables out the other end to mount it were ever. Thanks for the help guys!

Re:Dual motors 13 years 9 months ago #11371

Here's a few pics. They're almost done.
Need some rear medallions & electric start plates for the front of the hood, if anybody has some
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)