Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: carb rebuild kit?

carb rebuild kit? 13 years 7 months ago #15543

It's been a long time since i have worked on an outboard engine and never one this old so here is my question. I have a 65' Johnson Super SeaHorse 33hp on the back of my Corvair. It seems original to the boat although with the 1 year discrepancy in the manufacture dates i suppose it probably isn't. When i bought the boat about a month ago i was told that it had sit for the last 20 years (as evidenced by the cancelled registration that i was given) but had no mechanical problems back then. Being somewhat of an impetuous person i couldn't resist trying to start the beast as soon as i got it home. With no starting fluid at the ready i fogged the carb with some Gumout and on the second yank the motor fired up! Needless to say i was quite pleased. I was supposed to ask a question somewhere here right.....oh yeah, here goes. Is there a rebuild kit for this motors carburetor or do i have to order the individual parts? Also, what else would everyone recommend i rebuild and/or go over? Thanks guys, Noel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:carb rebuild kit? 13 years 7 months ago #15547

Parts are readily available straight from NAPA.They will be Sierra Brand aftermarket parts.

You should change these before actually starting it again, or putting it in the water.
Water pump impeller(378891 Sierra:Impeller 18-3006 ), ALL Fuel lines and vacuum lines, Fuel Pump(380016 now OMC 0388685), Carb kit (CARB KIT 18-7010), Gearcase (lower unit) oil,

Have handy: extra set of plugs, Extra fuel bulb/line assembly (the new ones are JUNK, and give you(me) nothing but trouble)

NEVER start the engine on starting fluid (ether), or other similar sprays, always use 40:1 gas/oil in a spray bottle instead. A 2-stroke NEEDS the oil for lubrication that the sprays just do not have. Damage can be quick and severe.

Re:carb rebuild kit? 13 years 7 months ago #15548

You can order you parts here using the numbers that are posted above.
www.marineengine.com/
Or you can order them from any NAPA car parts store.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:carb rebuild kit? 13 years 7 months ago #15549

Marineengine.com always has competitive prices.. I did however find the fuel pump on sale at Boats.net for $20 less.
There is no Sierra replacement for it.. so a BRP/OMC part is all that is available these days. Expensive puppy too: $78- $97 :ohmy:

Google is your friend for these things and it takes a bit of effort to save $$$

Re:carb rebuild kit? 13 years 7 months ago #15558

If and when you do have trouble, post on the marineengine J/E forum.
There are some real experts there! One in particular is a former OMC mechanic. He retired many years ago, but he knows the older stuff really well. It is a good place for parts as well. You could likely get a OMC manual reprint if you couldn't find a used one on ebay. I highly recommend the factory manual!

Re:carb rebuild kit? 13 years 7 months ago #15561

jim18611865 wrote:

If and when you do have trouble, post on the marineengine J/E forum.
There are some real experts there! One in particular is a former OMC mechanic. He retired many years ago, but he knows the older stuff really well. It is a good place for parts as well. You could likely get a OMC manual reprint if you couldn't find a used one on ebay. I highly recommend the factory manual!

So you've dealt with Joe Reeves too huh? ;)
He has lots of obscure parts also. I have bought many things for my '67 60HP Sportfour from him.

Definitely get the shop manual and parts catalog reprints if you plan on keeping the engine and working on it yourself.

Re:carb rebuild kit? 13 years 7 months ago #15589

Yes I have. My 73' 65HP Evinrude sat for 17 years. With his and a couple others help, I have used it for 2 seasons now.
I have also cut and pasted several of his canned posts for later use. Pretty much good advice from an experienced mechanic. We are all blessed he is willing to share his knowledge.

Re:carb rebuild kit? 13 years 7 months ago #15615

I got my carb rebuild kit, fuel pump rebuid kit from marineengine.com also. Best prices I could find. Got the carb kit for $20 no kidding. Great prices on manuals also.

Bob

Re:carb rebuild kit? 13 years 7 months ago #15748

Wow guys! Thank you for all the great advice and especially for the part numbers. I'm going to check out that website tonight. Being a former auto mechanice and motorcycle tinkerer you think it would have dawned on me that starting fluid (or the Gumout that i used) wouldn't provide the necessary lubrication for a two-stroke motor. I'm glad i only did that once......thanks for the tip! Noel

• Page:
Time to create page: 2.850 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)