Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '66 40hp Evinrude Lark stalls without choke

'66 40hp Evinrude Lark stalls without choke 9 months 2 weeks ago #148194

Needing choke means too much air for the amount of fuel getting in. Engine starts ok with choke and a little throttle. I have fresh gas, new fuel line, bulb and spark plugs, sprayed carb cleaner through both the main and the low speed jets as well as poked them with a small wire, covered the throttle shaft exits with grease to test for air leaking in there, the low speed needle has been closed and backed off to 7/8 turn out, and increased from there up to 2 turns or more, last season the float was adjusted to not fall too far and get wedged against the bowl wall and flood. Could the fuel pump be "weak"? I think not because there is a whole bowl of fuel to be drawing on. Maybe the low speed jet orifice cant be reached from the front needle opening? How does fuel get to the needle valve??? Cleaning that pathway?Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.... Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'66 40hp Evinrude Lark stalls without choke 9 months 2 weeks ago #148195

I’m far from expert on these but my old motor did this with new parts on everything including carb rebuild..
After fighting with it for a week it turned out hi/lo throttle needles just needed packing. That’s my two cents good luck with it

'66 40hp Evinrude Lark stalls without choke 9 months 2 weeks ago #148196

i'll give that a go, thanks!

'66 40hp Evinrude Lark stalls without choke 9 months 2 weeks ago #148197

it still stalls out...

'66 40hp Evinrude Lark stalls without choke 9 months 2 weeks ago #148198

TUNE CARB FROM HERE:
-Low Speed: 1 1/2 turns
-High Speed: 1 turn

Carb float/needle rebuild/clean??

'66 40hp Evinrude Lark stalls without choke 9 months 2 weeks ago #148199

float adjusted/cleaned, only have a low speed needle, tried 1, 1 1/4, 1 1/2 turns etc... and i found how the low speed needle valve gets fuel. all passages clear

'66 40hp Evinrude Lark stalls without choke 9 months 2 weeks ago #148200

Curious if u run without choke and pump fuel ball will it run? Forcing fuel to prove pump is bad? If carb is good manually pumping fuel into motor and it runs then you prove pump possibly..

'66 40hp Evinrude Lark stalls without choke 9 months 2 weeks ago #148201

i noticed a drop of gas on the carb throat. double checking the needle there is the tiniest bit of a grove under the magnifying glass. the new plugs are fouled too... getting a new needle...

'66 40hp Evinrude Lark stalls without choke 9 months 2 weeks ago #148202

Anytime I’ve had to run a small motor with choke to keep it running it’s been carb related.. hopefully jet sorts you out! Good luck rocket man!

'66 40hp Evinrude Lark stalls without choke 8 months 3 weeks ago #148271

Mystery solved! The end of last season I replaced the float bowl gasket. The gasket matched the original except for sealing the low speed passage. The gasket fit around the outside of the passage but was open to the inside. This left suction for the low speed circuit to draw from the top of the fuel level (air) instead of drawing fuel from the bottom of the bowl. Put in the correct gasket, she's running as smooth as silk!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)