Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Evinrude Lightwin 3 HP fuel/oil ratio

1960 Evinrude Lightwin 3 HP fuel/oil ratio 9 months 3 weeks ago #148173

I'm getting a lot of oil in the barrel I'm testing my 1960 Evinrude. I used a 25:1 ratio about 5.4 ozs of oil to 1 gallon of gas. That's what the info I've found on this motor calls for...but, the person I talked to is a professional re-builder of old boat motors with 25 years of experience, and he said to use 35:1.
Question is...is he right, and that's why so much oil in the barrel? Or is there another problem here?
I can't get it to run in high speed position unless I turn the high speed needle to almost closed, the it speeds way up and promptly quits. What's with that anyhow?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1960 Evinrude Lightwin 3 HP fuel/oil ratio 8 months 3 weeks ago #148269

according to my 1960 Evinrude bible it says the lighttwin uses 1/3 pint oil per gallon of gas.

I'm sorry I cannot be of help with your other question, though, as I am a relative newbie to outboard engines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: data

1960 Evinrude Lightwin 3 HP fuel/oil ratio 8 months 3 weeks ago #148270

Good to get more info on this. So, that's approximately 24:1 or 5.33 ozs per gallon. I'll stay with that then, it seems to be the consensus. I just don't know why there is so much oil floating on the water in the barrel after a short run. I guess it could be poor compression and oil/gas getting by the rings. Or, maybe normal...just not familiar with 2 cycle boat motors. But my chain saws don't smoke like that. I do remember 2 cycle motorcycles smoking a lot though. I suppose if I tried 35:1 (like the guy said who restores old boat motors) I would get less oil in the water, but I'm afraid the motor could be damaged???

1960 Evinrude Lightwin 3 HP fuel/oil ratio 8 months 3 weeks ago #148275

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
It's a lot of oil because is is a rather rich mix. And it's concentrated into the small space of the barrel. You're never gonna notice it on the water.

If you want your engine to live to an even riper old age, I'd recommend sticking with the mfr's suggestion.

BTW more oil in the fuel of a 2-stroke engine improves ring sealing and generally will increase compression! The little ones didn't have much anyway. If it's running well in the bucket and purrs at idle in the water, there's nothing wrong with it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)