• Page:

TOPIC: evinrude or mercury

evinrude or mercury 5 years 7 months ago #137599

• mer-tex
  • mer-tex's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I need advice. Which motor is the easiest to work on? I've worked on a few Merc's but never any Evinrudes. I've been told they are easier to work on but haven't tried one yet. I'm looking at an older boat with a 60's early 70's 85-100 hp motor on it. Would like to keep it on it if its not too hard to maintain. Thanks for all the help and advice you can give me.....Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

evinrude or mercury 5 years 7 months ago #137617

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
The older OMCs are the easiest to work on IMHO. If you have basic tools, wrench, screwdriver you got it made. The Mercs while always had a reputation of faster and cooler looking need some specialized tools even to change the water impeller. The Rudes and Johnsons parts are reasonable cheap and readily available. most established dealers have parts for these older ones in stock also.
I believe in '67 OMC changed to the CDI (powerpack/amplifier) ignition system and the first generation was not very reliable. If they need to be replaced you have to bust out your wallet if you can find a new cdi box.
When you get into the 4 cylinder OMCs the earlier ones were notorious gas guzzlers but had more torque than needed, they are still stable workhorses. Later year Evinrude's say late 70s triples are good strong reliable motors and are still easier and simple to work on.

Check out my avatar. that's a 15' Tomahawk at half throttle with a older 135hp Rude. They got lots of snot.

That's Dr. Go in the background with his Admiral :evil:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mer-tex

evinrude or mercury 5 years 7 months ago #137631

Yep tCal nailed it, the Evinrude Johnsons are easier to work on and the Merc's have a little more oomph. Comes down to personal preference I guess but I have to say the two Evinrudes I'v worked on were a piece of cake.

Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: mer-tex

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6828 guests and one member online