• Page:

TOPIC: electric shift issue

electric shift issue 6 years 4 months ago #134618

• Tomahawk
  • Tomahawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The issue is the cold start lever is moving while in normal operation then jams the throttle when both are at full. I want to bypass the cold start and add a switch to interrupt the power to the shift when starting and only enable the power to the starter when in this mode. allows me to use the throttle lever for start and adds back the neutral start safety which is now not functional. Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't be a good idea? i would then secure the start lever so it would not move.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

electric shift issue 6 years 4 months ago #134755

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Can you post a picture of the unit you have? I rewired an electric shifter once before using a three position navigation light switch.
It was a pain to figure out but did work.
What you describe sounds more like a mechanical issue inside the shift unit itself. More times than not there is old hardened grease sticking to the levers. Problem could be solved by taking the unit apart and cleaning with solvent.

electric shift issue 6 years 4 months ago #134757

I agree about it being mechanical. My start lever doesn't move at all once I use it to start the boat and lower back into the resting position. I would take the control box apart first before I would rewire.

electric shift issue 6 years 4 months ago #134763

• Tomahawk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
i will post a pic later but part of the issue is the lever itself is broken off. Part is that the mechanism moves by itself now. i don't have a new lever to fix both parts of the issue. The start lever has a mechanism to adjust the friction but it didn't seem to respond. If it is too tight it is impossible to move with just the stub. Right now I can't seem to tighten it at all.

electric shift issue 6 years 4 months ago #134765

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
It's not unusual for that lever to be broken off. I've seen a few of them. Since you didn't post the year or model number I had to guess on the part but here is a link for a warm up lever.
www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0316770

electric shift issue 6 years 4 months ago #134770

• Tomahawk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
it is a 66 100hp Johnson. I followed the link and found the correct part is in stock and $20. i still have to look at it and see if I can get it to control the drag on the lever.
Thanks for the link.

electric shift issue 6 years 4 months ago #134824

• Tomahawk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I think I need to clean this up but no grease? Clean and lube here. What is the function of the adjustment screw?
Attachments:

electric shift issue 6 years 3 months ago #135152

Obviously needs a good cleaning & lubrication. Today's marine grease (Triple Guard) will not dry out like that. The part number you seek is #310700 (I think you found it), but Crowley Marine has it for $17.99 & less shipping ($3.95 I think). eBay only showed 1 for $25.95 Free Shipping.
The key here is when you install it (all lubed up & moving freely) before you hook the cable to the engine to make sure everything is working well. After you hook up the cable then make sure when you return to idle there is no preload on the cable. You just want the cable to return the motor to the idle stop,on the motor. Either with the throttle handle or the idle adjustment lever you just installed. You may have to adjust the trunion at the motor to achieve this? If you preload the cable then the situation you complained about will happen. When you shift (throttle up, shifting is just a switch) the warm up lever will move. Any binding of the cable due to preload is very hard on that little lever!
A separate switch for shifting is not a good idea. It has been done because the switch is expensive or NLA, but shifting at higher than dead idle is hard on the lower unit components. IMHO

Dan in TN

electric shift issue 6 years 2 months ago #135203

• Tomahawk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
The switch idea is not to shift the motor but to disable shifting at startup and to disable the starter if the motor can be put in gear. Right now the motor will start in gear. Is there something that was there to prevent this?

electric shift issue 6 years 2 months ago #135204

This lower unit (engine type) doesn't start in gear. Some units do, but not this model. This unit is put into gear when an electric coil is energized (switch in control box) which causes a spring to wrap tightly around the hub that has the gear attached to it. If you are starting in gear then you have electric energy on that side of the switch (shorted) or a mechanical issue with the spring on the hub. The mechanical issue would be rare unless it is just locked up. In that case nothing is going to cause it to release. You will have to tear it down.
I would check to see if you have current on the wires headed to the lower unit.
The extra switch just confuses the issue. IMHO

Dan in TN

electric shift issue 6 years 2 months ago #135208

I forgot to answer your question about start in gear protection. Sorry! I do not remember start in gear protection on electric shift engines except for the shift switch it's self. I went back to check for other switches, etc. & did not find any mechanical devices. Since there is no shift cable or linkage there is nothing for these devices to work off of. I may have forgotten something, but don't see anything. There is an over rev switch at the distributor (reference #59) that stops the motor from turning over if advanced too far. See pic.

Dan in TN
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)