• Page:

TOPIC: Fuse in starter solenoid box

Fuse in starter solenoid box 7 years 1 month ago #130332

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Getting ready to hopefully start up my 1965 60 hp. Had to replace the starter solenoid with a new Ford type, turns over great now but I still haven't really put fuel to it yet. The replacement solenoid is just a fuzz larger than OEM so I couldn't get the cover back on the box without removing the fuse holder. There is a 20 amp fuse between the "batt" connection on the volt regulator and the amp meter. I took out the fuse panen from the box and just replace the 20 amp fuse with a knife type 15 amp that I had laying around. Will the lower amp fuse cause me problems by blowing early??
Also how do you guys solve this problem with the older OMC's where the steering pulleys interfere with the fuel line and cables.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Fuse in starter solenoid box 7 years 1 month ago #130443

I don't think the fuse will make a bunch of difference if you aren't running anything off of the feeds on the box, but wiser minds than mine will answer.

As to the fuel and shifting cables, when i had mine, there were several places that the cables were held down (mounted) to boat. I just lossened then, adjusted them to where they wouldn't interfere, and tightened the mounts to keep them that way, checked them every few times out to make sure didn't get loose. For fuel hose I just ran it so it didn't interfere. Alternatively, you can put mount on the transom or splash well somewhere to do the same thing.

Re: Fuse in starter solenoid box 7 years 1 month ago #130448

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Solved the problem with fuel line and cables by installing smaller pulleys by the motor. Still close but tolerable.
I did completely rebuild and rewire the POS starter control box and installed it in a clear plastic easily accessible box. Did put in a 20amp fuse.
Attachments:

Re: Fuse in starter solenoid box 7 years 1 month ago #130534

Recall reading somewhere that the FORD solenoids are grounded differently than Marine grade units, and are not as safe.
I've used aftermarket Mercury trim solenoids and they've worked great.
About $20 each.

Re: Fuse in starter solenoid box 7 years 3 weeks ago #130627

An experienced OMC mechanic says the Ford solenoid looks the same, but has a totally different internal wiring. At BEST you will burn out the safety switch, and at worst bypass it (so the engine can be started in gear), which is unsafe.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.375 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)