• Page:

TOPIC: Problem 1 - not even a click

Problem 1 - not even a click 7 years 9 months ago #124322

• Merccooper
  • Merccooper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi All. Normally I have questions about my Merc, but today I have issues with my Johnson (no jokes, please!) on my barge/pontoon.

I've been having troubles with poor idle (that will be brought up in my "Problem 2" post next. But, since I've had troubles with the idle, sometimes the engine dies when I come into dock. The last time I came in and the engine died, I forgot to turn the ignition off, It was left on all night. the next day I went to start it but there was nothing. Did not turn over and didn't even make a click. I changed the battery but still nothing. Any ideas?

It is 2000 Johnson 30hp. Model number J30EVLSIA

Thanks
Tim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Problem 1 - not even a click 7 years 9 months ago #124344

As stated in your other post, your motor is a 2001. You will not find 2001 service manuals, they don't exist. That was the period when BRP was buying the remains of OMC.

There is a 20 amp ATO blade style fuse in the harness, check it. Don't really know why it would blow but everything runs thru it.

Re:Problem 1 - not even a click 7 years 9 months ago #124349

• Merccooper
  • Merccooper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks JM. Yup, checked the fuse and it is ok.
I've heard story's about cars and that the ignition system gets screwed up if you leave the key in the "run" position with out the engine running. Wondering if that can be similar in outboards. Kind'a stuck now. The engine is in a remote place. By the time I get it out, to a shop and back again, the summer could be over :( almost tempted to buy a new (old) one to take in then sell when I bring the existing one back. Hmmmmm

Re:Problem 1 - not even a click 7 years 9 months ago #124362

The ignition is powered by the stator. It will run if rope started even without a battery.

You say nothing happens. Start looking for 12v & see where you loose it. Is it in neutral? Apply 12VDC positive to the yellow/red stud on the solenoid. That will bypass the harness & key switch.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)