Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1965 evinrude starflite 75hp steering link??

1965 evinrude starflite 75hp steering link?? 7 years 11 months ago #122268

Hi guys. My 1971 mercury 800 was a no start this spring. I threw money at it,, and still wouldnt start. So, I went out and bought a 1965 evinrude starflite 75 hp speedyfour. Its a runner! Ive got it all mounted up which was not easy. No worries, its a mechanical shift.

I will be using the stock single cable steering that was attached to my merc800. Ive got the tilt tube off the merc, and made some brackets to mount it on top of the top motor transome bolts. Will be using the steering arm off the merc also. Heres the hitch, or lack there of.

Its seems like the evinrude uses a special pin,, possibly a quick release pin to attach to the steering link.

Can somebody please show me what it looks like,, and possibly a name or part number? Any close up pics of my same engine steering set ups?

Ive googled it till the cows came home, and not getting anything.

Also, any advise to keep this motor running? Was told that evinrude johnson would be easier and cheaper to work on,, so thats why I opted to go this rout rather than spending more money on the awsome merc 800.

Not sure which ignition system my new old starflite has. I think the coil is in the black metal case that also houses the distributer, because theres no evidence of an external coil.

Im mostly concerned about the stering link though. Seems like the steering needs to be dis connected to tilt the motor?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1965 evinrude starflite 75hp steering link?? 7 years 11 months ago #122274

you have a picture of where it mounts up.. i know i had rack steering on my 63 75hp evinrude.. and mine was a triangle plate that mounted to the front of the lower cover..

Re:1965 evinrude starflite 75hp steering link?? 7 years 11 months ago #122276

Re:1965 evinrude starflite 75hp steering link?? 7 years 11 months ago #122277

mine kind of looked like this....

Re:1965 evinrude starflite 75hp steering link?? 7 years 11 months ago #122282

It looks like part number 42 in the diagram is what I was thinking. It also looks like that eBay piece is what I need. Was just going to run a long bolt, so does it need disconnected to tilt?

Re:1965 evinrude starflite 75hp steering link?? 7 years 11 months ago #122290

if i remember right.. you'll need this also.. and you will be able to tilt with it all hooked up.. there's no need to disconnect anything.. this bolts to the bracket and the cable bolts up to this to pivot..

Re:1965 evinrude starflite 75hp steering link?? 7 years 11 months ago #122343

My goodness the steering set up is getting more complex and more expensive.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)