Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transom Bracing

Transom Bracing 10 years 6 months ago #82403

• dspeck
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The '60 G3 I bought came with a 75 hp Evinrude Starflite III mounted on the transom. The transom had no bracing and was rotting so I replaced it with a polyester laminate of 3 pieces of 1/2 inch Hydro Tek Merante marine plywood with random strand mat between the pieces and on the front and back of the assembly. I retained the existing outside transom skin as it was in good shape. I plan on using the Evinrude for power when the rehab is done. I'd appreciate insight on whether I need to add transom braces or if the 1.5 inch transom laminate is sufficient. The attached photo shows the completed transom prior to the final application of mat and resin.

Thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Transom Bracing 10 years 6 months ago #82409

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Your pics are soooo large I cant see them :) Shouldn't need bracing unless you did a shabby job? Think we need pics to comment

How about setting your camera on its lowest resolution or next higher and see if you can upload?

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:Transom Bracing 10 years 6 months ago #82419

Here the best post on G-3 transom bracing with photos and where to get it information.

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/g3-owners-association/endurance-ski-g-3

Re:Transom Bracing 10 years 6 months ago #82438

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I haven't noticed any g3 posted that needed bracing till they got well over 100hp or perhaps using the much newer motors that weigh 2X the classic ones? If I had to brace transom I'd do it from the top deck support frame to be out of the way and maybe stronger in design...?

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:Transom Bracing 10 years 6 months ago #82526

• dspeck
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks to all for the responses. While my work is not as skilled as I'd like, this is the only fiberglass boat I've attempted to restore. It has stretched my skill level, but I've learned/am learning a lot. I thought the transom lay up would be the hardest part of the project, but the sub-floor bracing was much harder for me. It's done, however, and looks pretty good.

I will get some smaller pics up so you can see my handiwork.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)