Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys?

Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 11 months ago #62010

• deanlofall
  • deanlofall's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I ran across these guys on the web last week. Their pricing seems very economical, in comparison to others I've looked at. A G3 windshield normally is quoted in the $350-400+ range. Shipping on top of that.

getaboatwindshield.com/need_to_replace_a_windshield

Has anyone used these guys, if so are you happy? I still need a windshield for Bandit, am just getting started on a '64 Crestliner that needs its cuddy windshield replaced. B)

Dean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 11 months ago #62022

deanlofall wrote:

I ran across these guys on the web last week. Their pricing seems very economical, in comparison to others I've looked at. A G3 windshield normally is quoted in the $350-400+ range. Shipping on top of that.

getaboatwindshield.com/need_to_replace_a_windshield

Has anyone used these guys, if so are you happy? I still need a windshield for Bandit, am just getting started on a '64 Crestliner that needs its cuddy windshield replaced. B)

Dean

Dean, I have never heard of that company but that is an excellent price for a windshield. Our G-3 could use a new one as it has two small cracks near the bottom but I don't have an extra G-3 windshield to send them. I will keep an eye on this thread but let me know if you get anymore information on the company!

Thanks Dean.

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62162

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi John,

If I dont hear anything negative, I will send them my broken Crestliner windshield... and give 'em a go. I expect to have it out of the boat in the next 3-4 weeks and will get things started and keep you posted.

Dean

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62175

Thanks Dean!

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62203

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..GUYS ; I think you have the wrong supplier for our classic BOATS. Below is the reply I got from the vendor, confirming the photos on their website.. They only cater to the newer BASS boat center console , single seat wind deflectors, as per pictures. the G-3 name is like the newer
Aluminum fishers.....
..." Just the smaller bass boat style windshields

Thanks
Monica Smith

Custom Mold & Tint Inc.""

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62562

Does the original window have a frame? Or is it just the windshield itself that's screwed on?
I have nothing on my old boat...

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62563

dennis2203 wrote:

Does the original window have a frame? Or is it just the windshield itself that's screwed on?
I have nothing on my old boat...

Dennis:

The original G-3 windshield on our 1960 did not have a frame. The top edge has a piece of aluminum trim and the bottom a white rubber gasket. The windshield has screws holding it at the bottom with wood supports underneath the top deck.

Here is a "side view" of the original windshield on our 1960 G-3:
Attachments:

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62586

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi Dennis,
I would add that the windshield was a dealer installed option. I dont have one either, but just the 1/4" screw holes. My screw holes were tapped into the fiberglass with 1/4 x 20 threads... So until I find one for Bandit... I filled the holes with shiney new stainless round-head screws. Sounds like the dealer of John's boat had another method of attachment.

Looking at John's photo, it made me wonder if you have the dash pad? I have the original wood backing for the dash that I could trace and mail the pattern to you if you need it. It is made from 3/8" plywood. I see a lot of old boats with this missing.

Dean
Attachments:

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62587

Hi dean
No I do not have that at all, and was not even aware one existed !!

Could I simply trace the existing shape on the dash and leave an extra half inch or so to stick out?

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62601

deanlofall wrote:

Hi Dennis,
I would add that the windshield was a dealer installed option. I dont have one either, but just the 1/4" screw holes. My screw holes were tapped into the fiberglass with 1/4 x 20 threads... So until I find one for Bandit... I filled the holes with shiney new stainless round-head screws. Sounds like the dealer of John's boat had another method of attachment.

Looking at John's photo, it made me wonder if you have the dash pad? I have the original wood backing for the dash that I could trace and mail the pattern to you if you need it. It is made from 3/8" plywood. I see a lot of old boats with this missing.

Dean

Dean and Dennis:

That white dash pad on our G-3 is original to the boat!

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62605

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Dennis,

I think that should work just fine for the curved shape of the forward edge... and the aft edge is simply straight. I am on a trip for work this week, but I can measure the center width of the plywood, then you can know the exact overhang. I think it was more than 1/2" overhang but I'm not exactly sure...

John,

YEAH that looked like the stock pad cover... except it appeared to be in too good of shape that I didn't expect it was original! WOW. Mine had the original pad too, but it didnt look anything like that...heh, it was pretty well rotted and somebody painted it red and there wasnt much left of the vinyl either:
Attachments:

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62612

Both the white and the red one look brand new from where sit (next to a still unpainted and empty hull)
It would be great to know how much the overhang should be in the middle and what the radius is more or less with which it curves back.

I am so positively surprised about all the responses and offers to help on this website
It's just me, my wife and the kids here in the united states, but after joining this forum I feel like I have at least 10 friends, and they all have the same interest in old boats!!!
Thanks guys!

I just sanded the second layer of primer and I get the feeling this puppy will shine again
If tim hooks me up with a nice merc 400 I think I can make my wife fall in love with me again when I pull up with this boat ( just kidding She loves me for me obviously)

Next weekend I will have to bend my trailer back in shape- seems to have bent backwards in the middle due to the boat gaining weight - from rain over 10 years in someone's backyard

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62614

dennis2203 wrote:

Both the white and the red one look brand new from where sit (next to a still unpainted and empty hull)
It would be great to know how much the overhang should be in the middle and what the radius is more or less with which it curves back.

I am so positively surprised about all the responses and offers to help on this website
It's just me, my wife and the kids here in the united states, but after joining this forum I feel like I have at least 10 friends, and they all have the same interest in old boats!!!
Thanks guys!

I just sanded the second layer of primer and I get the feeling this puppy will shine again
If tim hooks me up with a nice merc 400 I think I can make my wife fall in love with me again when I pull up with this boat ( just kidding She loves me for me obviously)

Next weekend I will have to bend my trailer back in shape- seems to have bent backwards in the middle due to the boat gaining weight - from rain over 10 years in someone's backyard

Dennis:

I am out of town right now but when I get back home at the end of the week I will get some measurements for you off of our G-3 to help you get your pad exactly right!

Between Dean and I we should be able to get you fixed up Sir!

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62616

deanlofall wrote:

John,

YEAH that looked like the stock pad cover... except it appeared to be in too good of shape that I didn't expect it was original! WOW. Mine had the original pad too, but it didnt look anything like that...heh, it was pretty well rotted and somebody painted it red and there wasnt much left of the vinyl either: [/quote]
Dean:

Yes, your right, it is hard to believe that the dash pad is original to our G-3. The advantage our G-3 had was that it was garaged it's entire life Dean. I credit my Dad for that as he was hard on us about taking care of the G-3 when my Brothers and I were growing up. BUT,....it all paid off in the end that's for sure.

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62619

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Dennis,

Well, we enjoy having new blood in the G3 gang for sure. I was the new blood about 18 months ago when I started my project... and met all these "virtual" pals here. They helped me through the rebuild of my boat by answering questions and giving direction.

By the way, when I started, we were on the old G3 forum site... see Forums/Forum Archives/G3 Owners Assoc. above... the old site doesnt allow posting anymore, but if you register on it, you can search the archives... TONS of good information and questions already answered, and lots and lots of boat photos to guide you... check it out!

You got me thinking about your bent trailer from an overweight boat collecting 10 years of rain water. Did you find water under the floorboards? My G3 was totally full of water beneath the floor and the boat was heavier than heck. I had to drill a hole through the transom to drain it all out, as the drain plug in a 1959 only drains water above he floor.
Attachments:

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62620

• deanlofall
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John,
You are definately one of the lucky ones! First you have a cherry, stock and original condition G3.... and second, you have a boat that you grew up with! KUDOS to your father who made you boys take good care of it, and was smart enough to garage it throughout its life!
Dean

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62627

Yes water throughout the boat
And not just water... Nasty rotten stuff with frogs included!

Re:Windshield Source - Has anyone used these guys? 11 years 10 months ago #62697

deanlofall wrote:

John,
You are definately one of the lucky ones! First you have a cherry, stock and original condition G3.... and second, you have a boat that you grew up with! KUDOS to your father who made you boys take good care of it, and was smart enough to garage it throughout its life!
Dean

Thanks Dean! ;)

Over the past three years through this and the other classic boating forums I have clearly seen how TRULY LUCKY we are with our "one-family" 1960 G-3! Some of the G-3 restorations (including yours) have been an eye opener on how much work many of you guys have had to put into these fine boats. My "hat off to you" and the others Dean!

Hey Dean, I sent you an e-mail link to the refurbish of our G-3 over on the CG forum.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)