• Page:

TOPIC: Thompson/Chris Craft - Andreas Help Needed

Thompson/Chris Craft - Andreas Help Needed 10 years 8 months ago #81965

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Being the world renowned expert on the Thompson family of boats Andreas I am soliciting your opinion on this find(that I fear I may have just missed out on...even though I responded in about 20 mins after it was posted)

This like will likely be gone soon but in the mean time here it is:
syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/4000198490.html

If it is gone it was for a : 1963 Wood 16' Thompson Chris Craft - $500

Text said:
This is a 16' Luxury Skiff made by Thompson Chris Craft. Engine is a 75 HP Evenrude. The boat has not been in the water for about 10 years. Included is the heavy duty 4 wheel boat trailer.

I probably blew it by doing some google research costing me valuable minutes before I emailed (no phone number).

First thing I found was a guy in Cleveland(actually posted in Miami CL) selling the same model boat for ...get this...18K

miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/3987210907.html

I have done some research and understand the Chris Craft buying Thompson in 62 and actually found a brochure of 63 showing both a 16' and 17' Luxury Skiff.... I am thinking this might be the 17'

In any case...while I wait impatiently....what are your thoughts about this transition boat?

Thanks,
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Thompson/Chris Craft - Andreas Help Needed 10 years 8 months ago #81979

"The trailer alone is worth $500." I can just hear those words now by anyone justifying buying this rig!! That's what I would say to myself!!

The boat appears OK. Very tough to tell from the brief description and two photos.

I cannot tell but it looks like the "Thompson" hullside logo under the windshield area is wrong. It looks like a Thompson of Peshtigo logo from the 1970s era (fiberglass boats).

The horrible paint job must go. I do not mind the blue, however, do not have the paint follow the curve of the planking. It should follow the waterline.

Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI had a branch factory at Cortland, NY. On 01 January 1959 the Cortland branch was spun-off and no longer was part of Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. It became "Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc." and from that point forward the two became competitors. They had the same model lines however! Confusing :) Cortland slowly changed their designs, model names, corporate image and logo.

In January 1962 Bob and Ted Thompson sold Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. to Chris-Craft. They continued with the firm as managers and it became a wholly owned subsidiary of CC.

Thompson of NY a subsidiary of CC continued to make wooden lapstrake boats until July 1965. The boats used both the "Thompson" logo on the hullsides and the "Chris-Craft" logo on the dashboard. A cool combination!

I saw one for sale on craigs list someplace in the plains states - Kansas maybe - several months ago.

Thompson of NY a subsidiary of CC began development of a fiberglass line of boats in 1962. This became the Chris-Craft Corsair product line. They built a brand new factory complex outside of Cortland for fiberglass production and the wooden boats continued to be built at the 127 Elm Street location.

CC closed the Cortland operation in 1974.

Brochures for all the various "Thompson" boat firms can be purchased on CD-ROM or flash drive at www.wcha.org

Hope this helps.

Andreas

Re:Thompson/Chris Craft - Andreas Help Needed 10 years 8 months ago #82121

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Well I wasted about 4 hours of my time to go and look at it. What a crying shame that someone let this beautiful piece of workmanship rot away. I guess it was covered for the last 10 years but only using cheap plastic tarps so the water has taken it's toll. Punky wet ribs and center keel and keelson, transom punky in about 1/2 inch at the splash pan area. Portions of the decking are rotted as is some area of the decks up front under the vinyl.

Seats are in great shape with new vinyl on the front 3. Is it worth the $500...yes most definately but will take a very major overhaul to restore all the rotted wood. The trailer is in good condition (the tires are dry rotted of course). Engine cover latch was rusted solid so hood could not be removed but peering thru the front hatch door was all I needed to see. Packed solid with mouse nest material and what I could see of the carbs etc they were all corroded.

Just made me sad and I told the guy it was a shame that he did not preserve it.

Hopefully someone will restore this beauty... I see it is still listed.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Thompson/Chris Craft - Andreas Help Needed 10 years 8 months ago #82271

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
B.F. For interesting info.. I was just reading a face Book
comment today that famous Merc factory racer Ken Kitson
wishes to sell his 60 Thompson. Does not show a picture. I
believe he is in the N.J. or New York State area. ? Again do not
know the boat size at this time. Assume he would prefer a collector.
Also do not know if a motor is included... I got a reply back 10pm.
Also a phone # I can sent pvt msg if interested . Indoor storage,
sounds good .. " a picture and send it to you.16 ft-9", with very fine trailer (96 Shoreline), bimini top and cover. Been inside a long time.could be made into a very nice boat. No engine $950 offer.my phone mo .boat at my home in Collinsville il, just east of st. louis.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6115 guests and one member online