Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 58 Owens Speedship

58 Owens Speedship 10 years 10 months ago #78311

New to the group, long time wood lover! I just purchased this little cutie or beast depending point of view. Great Story...

2 owners ago (back in 65) a new Ford Sunbeam Tiger was purchased and little did anyone know it would change this boat forever! You see, in 67 the car was totaled and the owner though it best to buy the car back from the Ins. company and take the 260 from it and put in this pretty little boat (not the engine cover is a bit to big for her lol).

I now clearly have a one of a kind boat as the seats, steering wheel, center console, gauges, etc... are all from the little sports car.

The question comes up, do you convert to a more appropriate 4 cylinder or just know you can only drive quarter throttle now? :) I am leaning towards keeping her as she is just due to the great story but looking for thoughts and maybe some (not emotionally attached) logical input.

Thanks,
Kevin
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:58 Owens Speedship 10 years 10 months ago #78318

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Kevin, glad to have you join us. Personally, I'd lean the same way = Keep her just as she is! Very cool history on the boat, and it appears to be a great "looker" as well. (We'd love to see some more pics!) I don't have any knowledge on what she may be worth restored to original, but I gotta believe it would take a bunch of time and money. If the job is done well, why mess with it? Just my two cents worth, (and the extra power would be fun to play with now and then!). :)

Mark

Re:58 Owens Speedship 10 years 10 months ago #78339

in 65 i too bought a new sunbeam tiger. quick little car,mostly due to the light weight,not the horsepower. the engine as it came from the factory was rated at about 160hp. of course all the shelby gofaster parts for the 289 would fit and some dealers offered these as dealer installed options. this motor is basicly the same as the 260 and 289 dearborn marine interecptor motors too. so it isn't really out of place and marine parts can be found for it when needed. the volvo 4 cyl used with the volvo/penta drives from the mid sixties were around 110 to 120hp,so your hp is definately higher,even stock. the torque is where the biggest difference is and i would look for any signs of twisting or pulling in the boats hull from the additional torque loading. otherwise,i say run it and enjoy the story that goes with it. skipp

Re:58 Owens Speedship 10 years 10 months ago #78340

Yes welcome aboard Kevin. I'm with Mark and Skipp, keep her as she is, great story and it would cost a good chuck to get her back to original, plus not as cool of a story then. Make sure the engine stringers are solid and no sign of rot or that motor could give you problems as Skipp said.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)