• Page:

TOPIC: Some help with board width.

Some help with board width. 11 years 6 months ago #70961

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Is there someone on the woodie site that can give me the width of the deck boards on the bow of their boat? My new winter project is putting a mahogany deck over a glass hull and I am going to have some boards sawn and re-sawn to 3/8 or 1/2 inch thickness. I want to put the boards side by side with the white line in the seams but I don't know how wide I should make the boards.
Thanks,
Cal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Some help with board width. 11 years 6 months ago #70965

Cal,
When I talked to Bob and Paul Miklos last year at the Thuroughbred round up regarding the deck on my resorter and they said it's actually about 5 1/2" wide planks with 1/8" grooves cut into it every 1 3/4", so it looks like 1 3/4 planking but it really isn't. With there being a full deck under it, it should be fine to just make them 1 3/4". really you could just make them any size you want but if your looking for the Century/Chris Craft deck look then 1 3/4" i it. Hope that helps.

Bob

Re:Some help with board width. 11 years 6 months ago #70968

Cal, I would agree with that post. I would bed the planks in 3M 5200 as well. The kerfs at 1/8" are right on. Have you though about color of the stain? Blonde or a darker mohagony? I used the red version of the Century stain on my 1968 Resorter that I refinished last Winter. I love that color! Will you be putting it on the deck?

Re:Some help with board width. 11 years 5 months ago #71015

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The bow deck is uneven so I'll have to make up small framework. Thinking of laying some 1/8 luan over the frame and then I could bed the planks in 5200 like sugessted. The rough board feet planks are 1 1/2" thick so they will be resawed to 7/16". By the time they are planed and sanded they should be almost perfect to work with. I'll route the edges before installing. The planks are 8" wide so after finish the final look should be about 3 3/4" wide.
Thanks for the suggestions and info.
Cal

Re:Some help with board width. 11 years 5 months ago #71487

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Are you planning on getting 3 boards out of one? If so it will not work. Just trying to give a heads up. :)

Re:Some help with board width. 11 years 5 months ago #71494

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Larson planked theirs in various widths. From 1-1/4 up to about 3" wide. All individual boards though.

I'd be careful about using Luan plywood. If that stuff gets moist at all it will fall all apart. Use a high quality marine plywood if you use plywood.

I'd agree, if there is any compound curvature to the deck, wider boards are going to be trouble.

Re:Some help with board width. 11 years 5 months ago #71514

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, thanks for the tips, that's why I post things like this to get help from you guys that have gone down the road. I got the boards back from my son a few days ago, they are planed and sanded to 9/16 but still at the 8 - 10 inch widths. The bow has a slight curve to it so I can see where a wider width will be a problem. Maybe 2" individual strips would work. Still working the details out.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)