Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 MFG wood deck refinish

1959 MFG wood deck refinish 11 years 6 months ago #69749

I am refinishing the deck on my 1959 MFG 15' foredeck - after sanding , there is (perhaps) a 1/32" gap between a few of the deck boards - others have no gap . Do I refinish over these gaps and let the varnish coat act as the "bond" between these deck boards or is there a step that I am missing ? Thanks for any help .....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 MFG wood deck refinish 11 years 6 months ago #69789

Hi Lapstrake,
Typically those gaps are for wood expansion. If you fill those gaps with varnish, one of two things will happen. One: once the boards expand and close the 1/32 gap, it will squeeze out the varnish and give you a ridge along the entire length of the seam. (kind of like gluing two boards together,and then clamping them together. glue always squeezes out)
OR Two:
The varnish will harden to the point that it will not give when the boards try to squeeze, and something will finally have to give. Usually the board will cup or split, or fasteners will break. 1/32" doesn't sound like a lot, but if you have 6 board with a 1/32 gap that equates to 6/32nds or 3/16" of movement when all is said and done. Your best bet is a flexible deck sealer cualk. You can check Jamestown Disributors or any other boat supply place.
Just my opinions worth ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7114 guests and no members online