Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wood supplies for boat building in NY or the NE?

Wood supplies for boat building in NY or the NE? 11 years 8 months ago #66886

I'm looking for some clear white cedar, like one board 1" X 2" X 6 or 8'. I figure I could make the 3 ribs I need out of that. Also looking for a 16' piece of 1" square clear ash to fashion a keel, and a 20' 2 X 4 (or 2 X 6 or 2 X 8 - the wider the better!) of clear spruce to make outwales from.

Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Wood supplies for boat building in NY or the NE? 11 years 8 months ago #66887

Look at www.wcha.org and someplace on that site there is a listing of suppliers. Also check with some of the profesional canoe restorers. They may have some small pieces that they'd be willing to sell.

Andreas

Re:Wood supplies for boat building in NY or the NE? 11 years 8 months ago #66888

I found one in NY and one in VT that sound like they might be able to help. Thanks Andreas, I'll be checking them out.

Frank

Re:Wood supplies for boat building in NY or the NE? 11 years 8 months ago #66891

Frank,

Not sure who you use for fasteners but check out www.ccfasteners.com if you don't alread use them.

Travis

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.

Re:Wood supplies for boat building in NY or the NE? 11 years 8 months ago #66895

Generally I use Douglas Industrial in Watervliet here in the Capital District. They have brass stuff, but I don't think they carry silicon bronze. For the few times I've needed strange stuff I have used Jamestown Distributors, one of FG's sponsors. They have a lot of marine fasteners too. Between Douglas and Jamestown I'll probably be all set, but I do appreciate the lead, and have saved that web site just in case. There are also plenty of suppliers of hardware specific to these old wood & canvas canoes. It is the wood I am having some difficulty finding.

Thanks!

Frank

Re:Wood supplies for boat building in NY or the NE? 11 years 8 months ago #67483

It's essential to choose the right wood supply for our boats. I always buy it from online.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)