TOPIC: Epiphanes

Epiphanes 12 years 3 weeks ago #58182

• Shipster
  • Shipster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
Does anyone have any experience using Epiphanes (sp?) in lieu of traditional spar varnish for exterior mahogany brightwork? I'm probably going to stick with varnish inside the cabin. Thanks in advance.
Shipster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 3 weeks ago #58186

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I have always used it. Good results.

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 3 weeks ago #58187

You may consider using the non-UV varnish for your build up coats on the exterior hull and top sides, then the last few coats with the UV varnish. I've been told, using all UV varnish for every coat is a waste of money.

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 3 weeks ago #58192

I used a gallon of Captain's on the mahogany interior and deck of my Crosby towards the end of last summer before I ran out of nice weather and varnish. I need a few more coats to finish and decided to try Epiphanes just to see how it lays out. I asked a Jamestown rep if there would any problem starting with Captain's and finishing w/ Epiphanes. He said no prob. So I have a couple quarts but I'm still waiting for it to warm up here in Central Oregon. We haven't caught up w/ the heat wave the rest of the country is having. There are a bunch of testimonials you can read on the Jamestown site when you click on the Epiphanes Spar varnish.
Good luck.

Brian

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 3 weeks ago #58214

Shipster,
You tell me, 12 coats of Epifanes.

10 coats of the newer fast build stuff and 2 of the older original blend UV protective stuff.

Bob
Attachments:

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 3 weeks ago #58225

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi again.
Bob, Beautiful boat!! TWELVE coats?! I think I now know why my paltry FOUR coats of spar varnish looks crumby after only 2 seasons. Zoicks. Anyway I picked up a quart of extra UV-filter high gloss clear Epifanes for about the same price that I was getting Coronado Marine Spar Varnish for. I'll use up what spar varnish I still have and then jump to Epifanes. I'll report back in another 2 years to let you know if there's any improvement. 12 coats...

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 3 weeks ago #58228

Yeah I didn't want to have to do it again for quite a while. ;) I'll tell ya, with that many coats it makes a nice valley of fillet where the King board and others meet the bow deck. I don't have to worry about water accumulating there and getting under neath . Also makes it nice when I hose it off with fresh water. Just hit it with the towel and cleans up nice.

Bob

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 2 weeks ago #58534

Epifanes Woodfinish Gloss. They advertise as not requiring sanding between coats, and I did not.

Only had time for 5 coats. Thinned the first ones, then full strength. Will give it a few more this spring. It seems very forgiving, and is really easy to apply. Has that nice "thick" feeling on the brush and it builds quick. Not a lot of hard use, but 2 years going it looks great.

This is commercial, but best link I found.
www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=93&familyName=Epifanes+Wood+Finish+Gloss+Varnish

Neil
Attachments:

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 2 weeks ago #58626

I like to build coats with Captain's and finish with a coat or two of Epifanes.
Attachments:

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 2 weeks ago #58724

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Personally, I think Epiphanes is prone to sagging, over-rated and over-priced. I use Easypoxy high gloss exclusively. It's user-friendly, gives great results and very reasonably priced. Wholesale Marine has it on Ebay for under $30/quart! Check it out:

Here is a shot of a GarWood I refinished with Easypoxy...only five coats.
Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 2 weeks ago #58784

Nautilus,
Exquisite boat, excellent work! I'll have to keep that Easypoxy in mind for my Century. Everyone has their favorite so to speak. I have to admit the Epifans can sag, did for me in a few spots. Also 12 coats is definitely overkill but like I said I didn't want to have to do it for quite a while. ;) Classic Boat Connection has it for $28/liter, even cheaper if you buy the six pack. It was just my choice at the time. Don't know if I'd use it again just because it goes on finicky. I think I want to try something a little less temperamental next time.

Shipster, sorry should have mentioned the possible sagging part in my response. Wasn't trying to steal the thread here. Figured it's always good to get plenty of opinions and experiences in order to make a good decision.

Bob

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 2 weeks ago #58796

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I've used a LOT of epifanes varnish, it is great stuff. Make sure you thin it as per the instructions, and use their thinner, I've always had better results that way!

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 2 weeks ago #58797

My sag issues came when I went full strength. I also didn't roll and tip, I just brushed it on.

Bob

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 2 weeks ago #58807

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
What exactly is "sagging"? Is that drips? I'm probably going to get around to using it this weekend and I will pick up some brand specific thinner. Thanks again. Bob, you're not stealing nothing. I appreciate the feedback.

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 2 weeks ago #58819

Yeah, sagging is when the varnish "sags" under it's own weight on vertical surfaces like the dash board. They aren't individual drips so much as they are longer sections sagging in mass. As stated before, it usually happens when using the varnish full strength, when you need to really pay attention to spreading it evenly and not too thick.

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 1 week ago #58837

Nautilus wrote:

Personally, I think Epiphanes is prone to sagging, over-rated and over-priced. I use Easypoxy high gloss exclusively. It's user-friendly, gives great results and very reasonably priced. Wholesale Marine has it on Ebay for under $30/quart! Check it out:

Here is a shot of a GarWood I refinished with Easypoxy...only five coats.

Wow, that looks great. I wanted to try that stuff on another project of mine. On my wooden kayak, I used regular Interlux Schooner (not Schooner Gold). It is also very easy to apply, but is not clear.

The boat in my profile photo is clear coated with automotive clear coat.

2011 MALAHINI LAUNCHED 28 SEPT 2011

Lake Chatuge, GA

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 1 week ago #59056

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
There is about 18 coats on this hull. But, I sanded many of them off as I built up coats of varnich to fill the grain. I am pleased so far.
Attachments:

Re:Epiphanes 12 years 1 week ago #59062

Beautiful work!

Re:Epiphanes 11 years 8 months ago #66820

You can also use epoxy for your preliminary build up and sealing coats. 2-3 usually do the trick and then 4-6 coats of the UV enhanced preferred Marine Varnish will yield a very durable and high gloss "DEEP" surface.

Re:Epiphanes 11 years 8 months ago #66824

Isn't the epoxy to hard and brittle? and prone to cracking? with all the expansion and contraction the wood will go thru.

Andreas

Re:Epiphanes 11 years 8 months ago #66937

I personally would not knowingly varnish over epoxy precisely for that reason. It is also makes it really tough to strip back to bare wood in the future. Call me old school, but nothing like sealing the newly stained surface with thinned varnish, for 2-3 coats and then full strength on your build coats. I prefer Captains by Petits as I am not used to the heavy feeling of Epiphanes. I prefer to put a few extra coats of Captains to get the nice build and mirror finish. It's all in what we are comfortable with!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6959 guests and no members online